JFF: Is It Illegal to Have a Booby Trap in Your Yard?

Somebody suggested this to me and I thought it was hilarious. Can you legally do it though?

can they sue you if they are on your property?

when I was a kid we used to set booby traps all over the woods on our property. I wasn't thinking of doing anything harmful, just some noise makers if someone opened the shed or possibly some paint balloons. nothing that could hurt MY kids, just scare away the people stealing stuff.

yes, it is unforturnately. You cant even barb wire your fence these days without a special permit. I think that is the most outrageous thing ever. You should be able to protect your property. It's insane that if an intruder get hurt in yard by an electric fence, barbed wire, or even your dog, YOU become the guilty party. What the hell is wrong with this world anyway?

Just like everything else you want to add in your home or yard you'd probably have to obtain a permit :)

I'm an insurance agent in AZ. Jo G is right. Insurance does not cover "intentional acts" which is you putting a booby trap in your yard. So there you have it...although in theory...lots of us would LOVE to do it! :o)

home owner liability insurace. if someone is walking by your house and breaks/sprains or anything they can sue you.

If you are having problems with people stealing stuff and that's the reason for the booby traps, then get some video survelience camers that are set to turn on with a motion dector. Show the videos to the police.

My boss had a problem with people thinking it was fun to ride across the front lawns and knock down mail boxes with their car. After it happened for the 4th of 5th time he put in a new mail box on a 4X4 post. Then he took 4 8X8 railroad ties and burried them 2 feet in the ground and about 2 feet above the ground around this 4X4 post. Then he planted 12 privet hedge bushes around the 4 railroad ties surrounding the 4X4 post with the mail box on it. He planted another 20 or so privet bushes across his front yard. About 2 months later, he heard a crash in the front yard. He looked out the window and a car had crashed into his mailbox post. He never went outside. A tow truck hauled the old car away. He never lost another mail box and he never had another car run across his front yard.

He said he got the idea from a friend of his that had cars run a stop sign on a street that ended on his street. If it was winter and the car couldn't stop on the ice or snow or because they were drunk and driving too fast the car would end up in his livingroom. After the second time when the car almost killed him and his wife while they sat on their couch in their livng room, he decided to landscape his front lawn. He went to a company that supplied landscape rocks. He dug a hole about 1 foot deep and large enough to accept a landscape rock. Then the company that sold landscape rock, brought out a large rock and put it in the hole he had dug. It was at the street, but right in front of his living room. The rock was rounded and stuck up about 3 feet above the ground. He planted low growing flowering shrubs around the rock. No more cars entered his home via the front yard.

Good luck to you and yours.

i got the image of a neighbor kid getting pulled up by a tree trap and dangling upside down!,,,,lol

Umm, not sure but the board with HUGE nails nailed thru it stopped our yard from being a "cut thru" yard. That and the addition of a 'fercious' pit bull...

Guess you'll have to check your local laws, as everywhere has their own local stuff. The only experience I have personally with "yard traps" was an old lady down the way lived on the parade route in New Orleans and people were always urinating in her yard. She told the police several times, but they told her that the crowd was too big, her flowers were not high priority, she could NOT have an officer placed by her yard to guard the flowerbeds from pee. So, she ran electric wire along the property, and a couple drunks got a little shock when they urinated in her yard. The police were called to her home, and they made her take the wire down.....but they did put an officer there (since they had to have them along the parade route anyway). As far as someone suing you: remember the big story that made headlines everywhere from a million years ago, when someone broke someone's house, got stuck in the garage and couldn't get out, had to eat dog food until the family returned from a trip and he successfully sued? Or that time when someone was trying to break in and hurt himself, and sued. So, I would guess that unless things in the system got fixed since then, yeah you could probably get in trouble if someone was hurt. Motion sensory lights, video cameras, a yappy dog would be the direction I'd go if you had an issue. Once, police were doing surveillance on my mom's neighbors (drug dealers). They were hiding, we didn't know it but we had suspicions of "something" and went to the police several times (footprints in the garden, trampled flowers, a noise in the night, etc). The police never told us anything. Then one day a policeman saw someone trying to break into the neighbor's (drug) house with a gun and took off running, tried to cut across our backyard. But in the dark he didn't see some pots and a fence and he crashed into it, and mom's 7 dogs come tearing out of the back porch where they slept all at once barking up a storm. We heard a loud expletive yelled under the window where we were watching tv, dogs going crazy, and my brother stepped outside with a gun. The police came to us and our OTHER neighbors the next morning to tell us what was up (so we didn't shoot a cop?)----the man had terrified us, since we didn't know he was creeping around our yard in the middle of the night. At least then we knew to ignore the strange "quiet" noises and the drug house was busted and everyone jailed shortly after, thank goodness!!!

1 / 3