JFF- If You Could Move to Any Country in the World, Where'd You Choose?

I know we could all say, "America. All my family is here, I love my country, great freedom, yada yada yada..." But, be creative...really, what foreign country would you move to if you could, and why?

Me? Hubby and I have been thinking about moving to Dubai for a few years so we can take advantage of NO income taxes, and pay off all of our student loans within 2 yrs. He speaks Arabic and is a doctor, so he'd get a job quite easily, and I am a teacher and they have a teacher shortage in Dubai. Not forever, but for a few years. My mom would freak, though! :)

Can you tell I've been watching House Hunters International? :)

@ Sunni M. - You are right that I'd still have to pay US taxes, but their is Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which exempts the first $180k-some (married filers) from US taxes. So, 2-3 years and we should have those med school loans & my undergrad loans paid off, and maybe even have $ to renovate our home.

We lived in Thailand for 3 years, back in the 70's and I would love to go back there..but I think my REAL first choice would be Ireland...what a glorious country...and the people are SO friendly and nice!!! Yep...Ireland would be my choice!!!! (As long as I get to take my grandchildren with me...can't be that far from THEM!!!!!)

I think you will have it great in Dubai. I would move there and Hong Kong. Great schools, clean, no crimes, low taxes. Do you know, BTW, that as an Americans you will have to pay US tax on top of local tax no matter where you are in the world? Yeh, work harder, millions on the welfare depend on you! English is widely spoken and used in Dubai, BTW. Good luck, I think you will enjoy it!

FRANCE! Lived there already. LOVE IT. Germany is awesome too. Ireland. England. France. Did I say France? I'd have to go with France.

Beautiful landscape, gorgeous cities, smart people, delicious food, awesome health care even for foreigners, beautiful language, art everywhere. France. If I don't get my kids over there for at least a year or two to learn French while they're young, I'll be very disappointed in myself! Gotta go buy a lottery ticket now...

I would move back home. Actually I have been asking my husband to consider leaving the states. He is american-born, but both he and I realize this is not the country it used to be, and the way it is going, I don't think it will get back on track during our lifetime. I don't want my kids to be raised ignorant with the attitude of 'we are the best in the world.' we are not. far from it. we say we are the land of the free yet so much discrimination whether towards different races, sexual orientation, financial standing etc. I am also sick of paying through the roof, and seeing where my money goes to: welfare.
i could go on and on and on.
so my top 2 choices are: australia (because it is so far away from everything)
italy

I would move BACK to England.
England was the greatest place I have ever lived.
I miss it every day and have since I left.
My husband and I are int he process of trying to arrange things for me to move back and take him and our daughter with us.
I will tell you, when I do make it back to England, I am NEVER leaving again.
I have few serious regrets, most I view as important to make me who I am today..
But leaving England and coming to America was a huge mistake.
I am American by birth, but I feel literally home sick for England.

Amazing, beautiful country with amazing, wonderful people.
Hubby is a software engineer, he is trying to get a job with a company that has offices over there so that we can eventually relocate.
I have done extensive research on how to go.
The last time I lived there I was there on a marriage visa from my first husband.

And I can tell you from experience, the health care system and the rate of pay and the average rent (depending on the area) WAY better than America.

For travel and visit, I would go back to Greece first, go to France, Budapest, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Amsterdam, Germany, Russia, Prague, Hungary, India, Thailand, and various places in Africa.

Been there, done that, have lots of t-shirts.

I lived in Germany for 4 years. I lived in Japan for 2.5 years. I've visited 47 countries on six continents and 50 states. I thought I would really like to move to Austrailia and take up residence. I went there for a two week vacation and talked to a lot of Austrailians about their country and its laws. I would never move there. The majority has voted away too many of what I consider to be personal freedoms.

I like America the best. I would to choose to go back and visit many of the places I have been, but would choose America over any of them.

Good luck to you and yours.

England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand - mainly because DH doesn't speak any foreign languages and is not inclined to learn one.
I would prefer Scandinavia or Benelux (Netherlands, Belgium)...
I think living abroad for a few years would be a great experience!

Go for it...if you can actualize that kind of financial freedom in 2 years...I'd probably even move to Siberia.

Dubai is relatively westernized. Lots of oil money so lots of engineers. It's not like Saudi Arabia where woman still cannot drive.

1 / 3