JFF - Do You Drink? Why or Why Not?

I often say I need a drink - but I don't drink. I have MAYBE 2-3 mixed drinks a year. I had my first baby at 20, and obviously stopped drinking then. My husband doesn't drink, so there was no need to sit at home and drink by myself. So I drank like a college kid from 17-19, and then hardly anything since. Not saying either way is good or bad, just wondering how many do or don't.

Let me add that it does concern me that my kids don't see us drink in moderation. I've seen kids come from homes without alcohol who have turned into crazy party kids because they thought it was forbidden! Eeek!

I hope this didn't come off wrong - I worry that my kids NOT seeing my hubby and I drink can be worse for them than seeing us drink. They do see my siblings and my parents drink, so they know it is okay for adults :). Also, if my hubby was a drinker, I may be also - just no fun in drinking alone! My vice is diet coke! When I do drink, it's usually Malbu mixed with a fruit juice :).

I drink. Not every day, but on a fairly regular basis. Sometimes it's a cup of coffee spiked with Bailey's, sometimes eggnog with spiced rum, sometimes a couple of beers, sometimes Malibu with pineapple juice, really just whatever I feel like. We have a cabinet with liquor in it & it is not locked. It's possible that within the next few/several years we will think about locking it though I don't think it'll be any more of an issue with my kids than it was for me being a kid in a home with alcohol present & available but most certainly NOT allowed to be consumed by a minor.

Nope..never have and have no plans to start. I grew up in a home where parents did not drink and I did not go through crazy high school or college years of making up for lost time or out of rebellion. My husband is the same.

We also don't drink coffee. Many people can't comprehend this way of living because they are so conditioned to use coffee to wake them up and alcohol to unwind and relax. For us it is simply a way of living and we don't feel we deprived.

When we are out we have so much fun laughing and joking around that many people think we are drunk in social settings.

We hang out with friends that drink, go to neighborhood parties where there is a lot of fun and drinking but we don't partake. And...we all have fun together!

This is a personal decision and a religious decision.

Good luck and best wishes! I think I will enjoy my Pepsi later and spike it with some grenadine!!!

Yes, occasionaly. I go thru phases of it - as in, I find an AWESOME wine and then yep I have my glass a night. But then I go weeks on end without anything at all.

My husband drinks a beer daily.

Neither of us drink to get drunk tho.

I drink on occasion. Why? Because I enjoy it and I have the ability to do it responsibly.

My husband drinks a beer daily.

Neither of us drink to get drunk tho.

My husband and I have a glass of wine with dinner almost every night--then 2 or 3 nights a week we finish the bottle after the kiddos are in bed. We drink and my almost 3 year old likes to pick our our wine bottles from Trader Joe's (he usually picks the ones with funny pictures on them). My husband and I both grew up in households that had a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol, and we BOTH went way overboard once we were on our own in college. I really want my kids to learn to drink responsibly and that it is something enjoyed by responsible adults.

If I drink its usually away from the kids. But my husband drinks around them. He is a beer connoisseur and enjoys flavoring different types of beer from all over. I go out maybe once a month with some friends from high school and have a drink or two with dinner then we stop at the bar for 1-2 more.

Then occasionally there is a wedding/party that I might let loose at. But usually my husband is the one letting loose and I am the one driving. Or I am the one looking over the kids. Him and I do not drink together as I feel someone should always be completely sober when we have our kids in our care.

How funny! I posted on Facebook last week or earlier this week a joke about police giving a line dance as a DUI check...it was HILARIOUS!!! I said that I would love to have this as an Alcohol Test and would pass it - any way - my best friend says "seeing that you don't drink, you would pass it"...I'm like THANKS!!! (bubble popped!!)

I drink...once every blue moon. Just don't need to. It doesn't "DO" anything for me....alcohol was NEVER forbidden in my home growing up, we were allowed to sample and taste, etc. so when high school came around? I didn't need to get wild and crazy with it because I could do it at home!!

We were married for 10 years before we decided to have a child.. so I think we got past our heavy drinking and partying back then. When our daughter was here at home, we did not drink a lot. And we had a rule. If one of us drank, the other wouldn't in case of emergency.

We once had a 6 pk of beer in our fridge for over a year. we drank 2 in a whole year. I used to always have a bottle of wine in the fridge, but we would drink so little, I would end up just cooking with it.

I am famous for my Bloody Mary's. So O do make the mix, but many times, I drink it without the Vodka..

Our daughter did not drink until she turned 21. She actually researched drinks sop she could decide what she wanted as a first cocktail.. She teases us that we are "drunkards" now that she is away at college, but again, we drink maybe once a week. I like to unwind. It makes me relax, physically and mentally. I also love a White Russian for dessert.. It just tastes so good.

1 / 3