Jeans to Apply for a Job

Would you wear jeans to fill out an application for a job? Not an interview just to fill out an app. This is a part time office job- and Im talking about nice jeans, dressy shirt and nice, heeled, dress boots. My closet is a SAHM wardrobe!! The other option is very dressy skirts- I have nothing in between! We live in a small town and shopping is 40 miles away and I really want to save the shopping for a possible interview. What do you think?

OK- Overdressed it is! I will let you know how it goes. Thanks moms!

In my opinion you want to look like the person who can fill the job when you walk in the door regardless of whether it's for the application or the interview. No matter how put together you look you will still be wearing jeans. Besides it's better to overdress than underdress in any situation. Good luck.

Invest in some slacks. If the drive is too much for you, consider getting them from Old Navy online. they are very affordable, and look the part.

the only time I ever did was in high school to work at a movie theater, not a professional position.

I would not. I have filled out applications before and have had interviews on the spot. Certain companies do two or three interviews and even if they don't you don't know if a manager will notice you filling one out and stop to talk to you. I would also like to mention you never know who you are talking to when you apply for a job. I use to work as a service desk supervisor and ran the desk, alot of people who came in mistaked me for a cashier and didn't know when I handed them a job aplication that the store manager would oftern consult me before calling someone in for an interview since I already had a first impression of them.

You should dress like you could fit in to the office.

If the office is a lawyer's office and they dress in suits then you should wear dress pants or skirt.

If the office is a dental office where they dress nice but casual, then your outfit will be spot on.

If the office is where they wear a uniform then your outfit will be okay.

I worked as a police officer. When we were hiring, we had people come in to get applications in all kinds of dress. Some even came in in jeans with holes in the knees or pockets.

I heard my bosses make remarks more than once that the people coming in wearing jeans, weren't going to be hired because they didn't respect them (the department) or the job enough to get dressed up. No man going into the interview in less than a suit got a job. No woman wearing less than a woman's version of a suit got the job.

Are all employers like that? No. But some are and if you really want the job, I'd dress up. I never went into an interview less dressed than the BOSS of the people doing the interview. I can't ever remember not getting the job or not being offered more than one position.

Good luck to you and yours.

I guess it woulddepend on what you were applyingfor, a business professional...nope.

Id go dressy.

No. I would not...you never know who is looking.

It depends which job you're applying for. Now, if they want to interview you, I'd suggest wearing a pair of slacks and a nice top.

I didn't even wear nice jeans to fill out an application for fast food restaurants when I was a teenager. If you've ever noticed, even they wear slacks and polo shirts =) My grandpa always told me "dress for the job you want, not the one you have".

I would have to know the type of office you're applying at. Is it a PR firm? A lawyer's office? An interior design firm? I could see many different varieties of attire when applying to each of these places. Jeans would be ok if it were more of a "casual" environment type office, but anything other than that, I'd rather be overdressed than under. Good luck with your search!

No. I've gone to fill out applications/drop off resumes and ended up speaking to manager or someone from human resources I wouldnt take the chance. Wear something nicer than jeans.

If you decide to wear the jeans--starched, of course--wear a blazer.

Filling out applications are important too. That's where they first see you and first impressions are made so looking nice is important. And its an office job too. Wear black jeans if you have them or slacks are better. Its much better to be over dressed then under dressed!

Absolutely not. At all times in the process I want to put my best foot forward and wear work appropriate attire. The only time I would be wearing jeans would be if I was filling out this application at home online. Your attire could get you to the next phase or exclude you from the competition.

It really depends on the office. We wear jeans. So if they were nice and dressed up, that would be fine. But not all offices are like that. You need to be dressed similar so you look as if you would fit in.. Overdressed in ALWAYS better than underdressed.

As long as you look very put together, I think you'll be fine. Just don't bring any kids with you :)

I would hire you wearing that if you were qualified.

I once went to fill out a job app (retail) wearing the clothes that I had just come from the dog park with my beasties in - grass and mud stains and all. I had no idea that they were going to be interviewing on the spot. And I got the job.

as long as the jeans are newish and you have a dressy shirt and shoes I say go for it.

Wear the plainest of the dressy skirts. You can never redo an first impression!

Do you have a friend who can loan you a semi-dressy skirt or dress for the occasion? If you must wear pants, try not to wear blue jeans. Black or khaki or slacks. It really does depend on the job location, too. Never hurts to fill out the application more dressy than less.

As the other posters have mentioned it is best to dress. Save the jeans for work when you are hired.

Sometimes applicants are interviewed when they drop off the application and sometimes they are not. So dress for the position in your best.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

The other S.

If you could borrow a pair of khakis for the afternoon that would really be better. "Nice jeans" are still denim and depending on the expectations of the office it may not be okay. You never know who will be the person behind the desk when you walk in. Believe it or not, CEO's do answer their phones if needed.

If you really have no other options, then you have no other options. Remember that conservative and understated is always better and use your very best spoken word!

Is it a requirement to fill out the application at that location?

I'd opt for filling it out at home and mailing it in if you can do so.

Never! I worked as an HR recruiter for many years and I can tell you no one will take you seriously if you show up in jeans. My motto is "dress for the job you want, not the job you have". Good luck to you!

I agree, as long as you look put together it should be ok. :) Good luck!

sounds great. it's just the application, and the rest of your outfit is very put together, hair and face all put together, I say great. I'm sure others go in in a tank top and shorts/capris so you could likely be the best-dressed applicant even in jeans.