IUD Mirena String Pulled Off???

Hi mamas,
I got the Mirena IUD about a month ago and it's awesome. So far have loved it, expect for some spotting and whatnot which is normal in the beginning anyways...
Well, my question is I got my period and used a tampon, when i pulled it out the string was stuck to it! I think I may have pulled the string off the IUD.. Is that even possible??? What do I do? I'm so embarrassed. Is it not a big deal? It's in there anyway? Please help!
Thank in advance!!!

Saw the doc today today he said it's still there (the string) everything is fine! He said sometimes a piece of a could just kinda break off.. go figure. Now I can relax ... Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

I would make an appointment tomorrow with my gyno, just to make sure. You don't want to fool around with this.

The string on the iud is there so you can feel where your iud is. It is not there to be used to pull the iud out. They use a device which goes on the iud and releases the springs, they take it out. It will not just pull out easily without you know it...if it was previously in the right spot...which if it was not you would be feeling pain.
Tell your Dr. they might want to put another one on so you can continue to check it's position. If you intend on keeping it in you need to be able to monitor its placement.

Yeah, I was told to check montly for the string and to make sure I only used the super light teenager type tampons at first IF I was going to use them but a liner/pad was best for spotting.

I guess it's possible but the string on the IUD is designed to be used to pull it out of your body and the pull to get it out is stronger than just sliding a tampon out.Check and see if you can feel the string. if not make an appointment. The string also could just be wrapped up.

I'd definitely give the doctor a call to be on the safe side!

yeah, I'd got to your gyno ... just in case!

You should be able to feel the string. IF you can't, make an appointment to have it checked. My daughter neglected to check for the string and had an ectopic pregnancy. In dealing with that they found that the iud wasn't in place. You want to check every month for that string. It's unlikely that you'll lose the iud but you still want to be sure.

My girlfriend & I both had daughters in May and both of us got the Mirena. I never used a tampon because I thought I might pull it out!!! My girlfriend on the other hand did a few days later she could feel it- I guess it was not in place & after sex it came out.
You shouldn't be embarrassed at all. It could of fell out on it's own :) just to be on the safe side call the advice nurse (if you have one) to see if it's defective in anyway. Good Luck S...

1 / 3