Iud - Kansas City, MO

Trying to decide my next choice of birth control. I am wondering what experiences others may have had with IUD's. Good or bad I would like to hear it all. I appreciate any comments in helping with my personal decision.

Well I am still debating what I want to do, also which one to choice if I do choice the IUD...The one with hormones or the one without. I went off the pill in April, and have since only had 3 migraines since! PCOS also...Decisions Decisions.....
Thank you all for sharing this info. I has really taken some of the stress away!

I have been using an IUD for about a year and love it. My doctor spoke the truth when she said 'Its three months of hell for 10 years of pleasure.' The first three months you have a heavy period and more PMS and some spotting in between but then like a switch its goes back to normal. Now I use the one that doesn't have hormones. The ones with hormones don't have quite the symptoms. It takes 5 minutes to put in and no pain. And its more preventative than the pill, and most insurance covers it. Go for it girl.

I had a Mirena IUD/IUC and loved it. It is good for 5 years, lessen periods and I think some people stop all together. I would have gotten it again after having my son however my insurance doesn't cover it and it is very pricey around $600-$700 total. Here is their website http://www.mirena-us.com/index.jsp. Good Luck

I have had an IUD for 6 years and am thrilled with it! No worries, complete spontaneity, etc. My doctor recommended it since we were done having kids, yet I didn't want to be taking hormones or do anything permanent. I have recommended it to many friends since. By far, in my opinion, the best option at this stage in life!

S.....I had an IUD very many years ago. Don't know how much has changed, but was quite satisfied with it back then. Only downside was horrible cramps that time of the month. I had what was refered to as the "Copper 7". I know this particular IUD is no longer on the market. But, if I remember, there were several choices. Talk long and hard with your Doctor to get one that is right for you. Keep in mind that all medical procedures come with some risks. I think that the IUD is a viable option for birth control that many never consider.

I got the Mirena IUD after my doctor recommended it almost 5 years ago. I haven't had a period at all. After insertion I cramp slightly, nothing severe, and had light bleeding for about 2-3 weeks. I have recommended it to several girls and they love theirs. I go this month to have mine removed and reinserted because it is the best non-permanent type of birth control ever!! NO MONTH TO MONTH WORRIES!! - - GO FOR IT!!! :)

My baby was born back in July & I decided on the IUD. I was trying to find something I could use because I was breastfeeding my baby. I had some cramping right at first then it came & went for a while. The bleeding was the biggest drawback. The information says there will be bleeding for 3-6 months. When I went back for my one month check-up after having it put in I asked the doctor if it really lasts that long. He told me it generally lasts no longer than 3 months. Mine did last a little longer than 3 months but 5yrs of not having to worry about birth control is well worth it.

My ObGyn just placed my Mirena about 1.5 months ago. It didn't bother me at all to have it placed. The only thing was that the strings he kept long bothered me for a day or so, but then at my 1 month check he trimmed them. I love it...it gives me 5 years of birth control and the low dose of meds won't make me gain weight or lose my sex drive (or what drive I have as the mother of 3 boys between 3 months and 4 years!).

1 / 3