Itchy Skin on Teenager

My daughter, 13, started itching one Wednesday evening, about 2 weeks ago. Her stomach and her legs itched. She had not changed shampoos, soaps, etc., or used new sprays, and she had not eaten anything new. (These were all things the doctor asked when we went to see her a few days later.) The itching got worse, and she almost called me from school the following day. She felt like every place but her face itched. Thing is, we couldn't SEE anything! No rash, not bumps, etc. We went to see the dr. Saturday AM. She still was itching, but not as much. (She was not scratching, just uncomfortable.) Things were a little better by the time we got to the dr (of course). They couldn't see anything, either, and said her skin was not dry, which could be a cause. I mentioned that she doesn't always dress as warmly as I'd like her too when she walks to the bus in the AM. Dr. said that could contribute. The itching went away on its own. (Oh, Benadryl didn't seem to help her.) Then, last night, she told me the itching was starting...not badly, but she feels it again. We may have to take her for blood work...something the dr mentioned 2 weeks ago, if the itching continued, as it could be a symptom of some bad things...but I'm hoping, of course, it's just a passing phase. She didn't mention any itching this AM, and I didn't think to ask, it was so early! :)

I’m going to have her take an oatmeal bath later, if she is bothered….

Has anyone had any experience with this?

D G,
I agree with the others. Itching is a sign of many different things. It could be related to the seasons changing. It could also be allergy-related. It took me a long time to realize that my itching was due to hayfever and seasonal allergies. My scalp and everything itches. It usually leaves when I take allergy medicines like Claritin or Zyrtec. It could also be due to dry skin. Monitoring when it happens is the most effective way to determine the cause.

have them check for scabies. does not affect face - can move- often worse at night. if she plays sports in close contact could be it

Poor girl!.. I know I routinely get itchy every fall and spring. Dry skin I think?? Maybe a humidifier in her room, eucerin cream is over the counter and great. You might want to try a food allergy test. I was tested, A small prick to my finger and found out the very foods I loved and ate occasionally, I was allergic to. (chiropractic office)I hope shes better soon, until then benedryl or non drowsy allergy pills!!!!!!!!

DG,
good morning .
an 'itchy' skin with a medical treatment is ' visable' such as ; a rash , a cluster of bumps, an inflamed elbow, neck, and /or pus .
thank goodness she has none of the above . !!!!!!!
however; she does ITCH ...SHE REALLY DOES . I would say a- ' welcome to the world of stress' condition . she is 'worried'. PSSA? EXAMS? NEW TEACHER? A DATE? NO DATE? ... this is my ' Dr. mommy' diagnose ...oh; she will never tell you either .
some people bite nails, some chew gum, some twist hair, some ITCH ....ETC...
mommy ; I truely believe she is re acting to lifes issues .[ this is a lot better than blood work and medicine]
get her all oatmeal shampoo, soap etc ...[it will make her think it works]
give her beny. if really bad . and simply ask her [ without being too momish] what's new ? how is history class ? etc....
ps= HORMONES also can cause ITCHING ... track her. see if itch coincides w/ monthy periods.
mommy, you would know 100% if she has cancer, skin disease etc ... I am sure it is nerves ...
thank you

It sounds like she might have a form of eczema. A 1% cortizone might work, and just keep a list of products she has been using, food she has been eating, etc. If things progress and you don't get any answers get a second opinion. Listen to your body. Keep well moisturized, no fragrances though. Try using allergen free detergents and body washes, etc. Good Luck.

Hi

I have had past experience with this type of itching.
Did you take her to a dermatologist?? It maybe from the dry heat--Do you have forced air?
What worked for me was Cetaphil--right out of the shower-all over--sold at CVS & Zyrtec.

It could be from the dry winter & heat.

Dg, there are many causes of itchy skin from the dry heat, low thyroid, eczema,etc. The only thing I would recommend until the doctor gives you a definitive diagnosis is oatmeal baths and lotions. Put oats in a clean sock, tie it at the top, place under running water,leave it in the water and let your daughter soak in it then put on oatmeal lotion. Oatmeal is a natural skin soother and is often used to treat itchiness from chicken pox. Experimenting with anything else can worsen the itch.
You also mentioned she is 13, this could be from hormone changes too. I would absolutely follow up with the doctor and get the bloodwork done.Better to know all the facts so you can make an educated decision on how to handle this further. Besides, the fear of the unknown is the worst feeling ever. lease let us know how she makes out.

There are definitely lots of possibilities, and not all of them are alarming, so try to stay calm until you know what you're dealing with (hard I know). Another thing you may want to look into is Candida - yeast. My mother had a systemic candida infection several years ago and had similar symptoms. She will still occasionally start to get signs again. She finds acidophilus tablets to be helpful. You may need to do a little research on it since many docs overlook this possibility. Obviously that may not be what it is, but probably worth looking into. Hope you can solve the mystery and clear the problem up quickly.

You did mention that she doesn't dress for the temps ? Does she wear jeans (duh) in the cold ? I used to notice that when it is COLD out, jeans will chaff and make your legs hurt. And itching is a mild form of pain. . . I would try something soothing like baby oil, too. Her skin may not look dry, but it might be dry underneath. ??? do have the blood test, too, so you aren't overlooking anything important.

1 / 3