Itchy Diaper Rash

Hello,
My 11 month old daughter has been suffering from a terrible diaper rash for about a month now. She is so uncomfortable and itchy that she tears at herself while we are changing her diaper so we have to be really careful as she will scratch herself raw and bleeding if we don't hold her hands. Our doctor says it is a yeast rash and has prescribed Nystatin, but it has not had any effect in about 5 days. Before that, a nurse had recommended Lotrimen, which is a cream that treats Athlete's foot, and this cream made no difference either. It's breaking my heart to see her so upset with this itch, I'm sure many can relate having suffered a yeast infection...
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of rash? What did you use to clear it up? We are unable to really let her "air out" without a diaper on because of the itchiness, but perhaps someone has some other ideas or suggestions? Maybe it's not yeast at all, but the doctor is convinced. Everything is perfect otherwise, if we could only get rid of this rash!

Thank you so much to all you caring Mamas out there and your great advice! We've received so many good ideas, so we're trying a few to see if they help. We've started using the blowdryer after every diaper change, and have stepped up the probiotics in her food. We're going to continue with the Nystatin a little longer, but if this doesn't work after 10 days, I think we will try another cream or method suggested. We normally use cloth diapers, but had switched to disposable to try and keep her a little dryer between changes. It's so hard to pinpoint the problem, but you've given us a lot to consider.

Many thanks to everyone who responded! What a wonderful community we have here.

It could be she is allergic to her diaper. My husband when he was a baby was very allergic to disposable diapers and had impetigo. His mom switched him over to cloth and the rash went away. You might want to look into cloth diapers.

Also put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in her bath. This is really great at helping to get rid of the yeast. I get yeast infections occasionally and I externally rinse with the apple cider vinegar and the yeast goes away.

Hi C.-

Have you tried sprinkling a powdered probiotic directly on the rash? I also use a paste made w/ bag balm and bifidus (a probiotic). I slather this on and the rash is usually much better in about 2 days. Don't forget to add a baby/toddler frindly probiotic to her daily diet, as well. We ude 1/2 tsp of Ultra-Bifidus a day. I just mix it in my daughter's milk or juice. My son started the Bifidus at 2 weeks old and he is 9 months now and also taking .5 tsp.

I searched the web for remedies and found a site that showed pics. of various diaper rashes and what type of rash it was. This was helpful in knowing it was a yeast rash or not. I find that even with non-yeast rashes, that the Bag Balm works better than the diaper creams to clear it up.

Good luck and hope she is rash-free soon.

Does anyone in the family have asthma or excima? If so this could be excima. I got gold bond baby powder for my kids. It cleared up almost any rash.

Once you get the rash under control...look into elimination communication/ infant potty training. It may help you eliminate future infections.

Hi C.-

Two things come to mind--first, can you find some "little girl undies" that would loosely fit her? She'll be able to get more air on her bum and it might diminish the affects of scratching at it. Yes, they'll get wet and pooed in, but it's worth a shot.

Second suggestion: visit a naturopath. My friends and I have had great results because the ND's are so darn thorough. (Great at discovering the causes of mystery rashes, etc. and helping families figure out a plan, be it using a cream, omitting certain foods, etc.) Not that your doc isn't thorough, but the approach is very holistic and often identifies causes that doctors don't ordinarily look for. Consider it as getting a second opinion. If you live in an area that has a school of natural medicine,you may be able to get an appt at a lower price.

The hairdryer idea is a tried and true method, too. Great no matter what kind of rash baby has.

Hope your daughter feels better soon.

try WELEDA diaper cream. it is a wonderful brand. any time my daughter had a rash, it worked like magic. i have also put it on heat rashes or little scrapes, and it works as well. it's all natural ingredient, the big one being calendula, with soothes. try it. i swear it works! they sell it at market of choice and probably most health care stores. good luck~ s

My daughter had a similar problem. What we did was put desitin over the top of the yeast cream so it would stay on & not come off if she urinated or if the diaper rubbed a little. Before using the desitin (or similar product) we couldn't control the yeast infections. Hope this helps!

Have you tried switching diaper brands? And clean the tub very well with bleach? She could be reinfecting herself if it is yeast.

1 / 3