Itchy Bottom

So, my toddler (will be three in July) has been reaching down and itching and complaining of an itchy bum. She'll reach down her underpants and scratch with her fingers. I've tried to deter that habit by offering to help her wipe with toilet paper to relieve the itching between potty breaks. When I ask her where it itches so that I can wipe it for her, it's not her butt crack, but her anus that she points to. What could be causing this?

We recently started wearing underpants consistently (the past 4 or 5 days). Before that, she was still mostly telling me when she had to go potty, but I've kept her in pull-ups or diapers. This is a fairly recent issue, though I am not sure that it correlates directly to the underpants time frame. (We've used underpants for a day here and there before, and I don't really recall having this problem.) My mom mentioned that it might mean she has worms. Could it be itchy from over wiping and drying it out too much? I tried a little desitin the other day, and that seemed to help for awhile? It seems like she mentions this a couple of times a day the last few days.

have you changed anything while doing the laundry? My daughter was real itchy (in front though), and I thought yeast infection, UTI... had her looked at.. nothing. Then I realized I had tried a different detergent and I had been using a lot of oxyclean because her sister was potty training. haha!!! I went back to my normal soap and stopped using the oxyclean, and she stopped itching shortly thereafter.

now my other daughter is scratching herself, and took her to the Dr last week... everything is fine. I just went and bought All free and clear, and i will see if that helps. the Dr also recommended using some diaper rash cream (even though she is potty trained) because it will protect her bottom if there is something irritating her, or another Dr has given me a recipe of mixing a little anti-itch cream with vaseline.

also try toddler wipes (or baby wipes) instead of toilet paper... maybe that will help too.

I had Pin Worms when I was little. Mom took me to the Ped and they cave me some pills to take....that was the end of that. Incidentally, they are small little white worms that you can see if they exit the anus. Kind of grubby looking, but thin.

Hope you find the answer!
E.

Pinworms can indeed cause itching, but usually it is most intense at night, when the worms crawl out to deposit their eggs around the rim of the anus.
You could stop in her room at night after she is sleeping with a flashlight and check the area for them.

Other things that cause itching is stretch marks, hemerroids, fungal growth or feces residue. Most likely it is fecal residue, possibly leaking if she had loose stools, or residue from not wiping around the immediate anal opening well enough. The average dry stool wouldn't leave much residue at all, where a sticky wet stool would. Try to use the diaper wipes for every potty break and dry with toliet paper after. Changing her diet to more fiberous foods should help,avoiding processed grains, and avoiding milks if she has lactose intolerance. Sometimes other food allergy or gluten intolerance can cause wet loose sticky stool.

I use tea tree oil for general skin itchiness, it works wonders, however, it can burn and tingle on application of delicate tissues,eventually leading to a numbing affect. (it does not damage tissues, but one has to be able to handle the burning sensation for the first 5 minutes) so it might not be advisable for children.

If it is a fungus, try some alphacura products, they work very well and are worth the extra expense. Go to alphacura.com - and no, I don't sell these myself.

If it is pinworms, visit this link: http://www.herbs2000.com/disorders/pinworms.htm

Your detergent may be irritating her bottom, she may not be wiping herself good enough, or it may just be dry. I doubt that it's worms. She'd have other symptoms (diarrhea, and in some cases you can see the worms in the toilet). Try keeping Vaseline on her bottom or changing the detergent you're using on her clothes.

another way to check for pinworms is to examine her bowel movements right after she goes - you will see them moving around in the fecal matter.

Have your ped test her for pin worms

it's probably a bit of a yeast rash? which can be hard to get rid of since yeast like warmth... and grow in it quite well. I would suggest giving your child LOTS of water... and avoid fruit juices... so often parents think they are doing their child good by giving them all this fruit juice, but once fruit juice is processed.. it doesn't have a ton of vitamins.. like they would have you believe.. but more importantly, yeast LOVE sugar.. whether natural or processed.. so give your child water.... also, other things that can make yeast grow... MOLD.. mold is in so many things, from peanut butter to tea bags etc etc.. not to mention, yeast loves fermented foods.. and of course, white flour.... so things like pasta and or bread can also be a problem, esp bread since yeast is already used in it.. lastly.... don't let her sit in a hot tub for too long.. again, yeast and many other types of rashes LOVE that warm water and all too often, the warmth will ignite the rash.....
best of luck to you

Hope you find the answer!
E.

1 / 3