It Takes My 2 Year Old Almost an Hour to Fall Asleep!

How long does it take your toddler to fall asleep at night? For the past month or so, it takes my daughter (just turned 2) almost and hour to finally fall asleep in her crib. She's not unhappy or complaining; usually she sings or talks about her day and tosses and turns alot. I just think it's weird that it takes her so long to get to sleep latley. Is that normal? It makes me feel like we are doing something wrong and/or that we need to change something about her daily schedule. What do ya'll think?

Wow I got a lot of responses and I feel so much better about the situation. At least I know now that it's not just my daughter and that really there's nothing to worry about or change. I might make a few slight changes based on some of the feedback but overall I am feeling pretty optimistic that our toddler is doing just fine in her crib all alone winding herself down for a good night's sleep. Thanks you ladies. I really don't know what I would do without you guys. Take care. :-)

Maybe her nap runs too late and she isn't sleepy at bedtime. Could you shorten her nap and put her down for her nap a little earlier so she'll be sleepy at night? Or move her bedtime until a little later?

what a blessing that she is not screaming for an hour!! it's wonderful and healthy for her to feel content in her bed, able to entertain herself. maybe the time change has thrown her off, or maybe her nap is lasting too late into the afternoon and she is just sincerely not ready for sleep yet. but if she's a happy girl in her bed i would let her spend some alone time in there and count your blessings!! :o)

I agree with the other posters, I wouldn't worry about it especially since she is happy. Some nights our 23 month old does the same (other nights she goes right to sleep). I will tell you from experience with my six year old, when she was younger we worried about this and put her to bed later - BIG mistake. She would get over-tired and take even longer to fall asleep (and be fussy instead of happy) and then be miserably tred the next day. If she's happy you are doing a great job!

I have twin 18 mos girls and even though they have always slept well, lately they have had trouble going to sleep quickly. I figured out that they were not expending enough energy during the day. So I have been taking them to the park, or chasing the ball outside, even inside. Anything to get them worn out so by 8pm they fall asleep within 15 minutes of getting in bed. Do you have a set routine each night? I find that helps as well.

If she is not screaming she is okay.
~~~~
That is her safe place and she is probably growing in her imagination and this time is so wonderfully peaceful for you both. When she gets older and into her own bed, you will know bedtime is best for stories and conversations about the day and dreams and friends and...

If she is happy in her own bed you are doing everything right. :)

Our younger daughter (now 30!) used to do that. She also put her feet up on the wall while lying in bed singing and talking to herself -- we figured that out when we saw the line of little footprints! She's always been able to be just fine alone and entertain herself.

You are very fortunate that she isn't crying, and seems to be singing herself to sleep etc.How great! But my thoughts are you may be putting her to bed too early, that her bed time maybe should be moved back a bit.

I use to take my son 1 to 2 hours sleep and I changed alot of his patterns and added patterns. Like a nightly bath, a bed time story and soft song and with dim lights. This normally works because it is routine. hope this helps. Deb

1 / 3