It Smells Pooey in Here!

When I found out I was pregnant my DH and I registered for a Diaper Genie. My friend said she hated hers, so she didn't get me one. Consequently we got a plain old diaper pail, which had worked well....until now. It smells pooey in my daughters room! Yuck! I litterally have to empty and deoderize it daily to keep the poo smell at bay.
What do you do with all the stink?

We kept our good old diaper pail, and I take all pooey diapers outside. Problem solved! Oh, and I Lysol the diaper pail and leave it out in the cold overnight when I empty it weekly. No more smell! Yay!
My household thanks you all :)

Mom of 3 here...I NEVER used a diaper pail. I always took tho poopie diapers straight to the garbage OUTSIDE! Never had a poopie smelly room. Just a suggestion...get rid of the diaper pail in the house! Take the dirty dipes OUTSIDE!!!

A.

You can try a few cotton balls soaked in tea tree oil at the bottom of the pail (outside of the trash liner). That seems to work for me - I use a cloth diaper service and the diapers only get picked up once a week. I replace the cotton balls weekly and it seems to keep the smell at bay.

I have a diaper genie II, and I love it.... The best thing ever as long as you change it at least weekly, which we do. Hope you find what you need.

My nursery workers hated the diaper genie and so did I, but for stinky diapers we use a ziploc bag and put a dryer sheet in the bag to help with the smell - it works great!!!

we bought a regular diaper pail for our daughter and my friend said her diaper genie was a pain in the butt. I think I might try it for our second child though, anyways we had to just throw the diaper pail away because of the smell, we figured it couldn't be good for our daughter so now I just use plastic bags from the groceries, and when they are poopy diapers they go straight out to the garbage out side that way it doesn't smell up the house or her room, then about 2 times a week I replace the plastic sac that is placed on a hook in her room next to the changing table.

I don't know if Diaper Genie has changed since my oldest was a baby (she's 13 now), but we HATED ours! It was fine for the 10 diapers it held, but then emptying it was horrible! And it stunk up the whole house.

We tried various different ways to dispose of the diapers over the course of 4 babies, but the only thing that really worked for us was wrapping the stinky in a grocery sack and throwing it away out in the garage. So we used a garbage can with a lid for the wet ones, and threw the others away outside. It seems really inconvenient, but pretty soon it becomes a habit and isn't too bad.

A.

We used a Diaper Champ for our two and loved it. You can use normal trash bags and I even put a box of Arm & Hammer in the bottom and that seemed to help absord even more smell. I still disinfected it, but usually monthly.

I smell your pain, girlfriend! I've had a Diaper Genie with my first baby (hated it), a Diaper Champ with my second (hated it) and now I use the trash can with the third. No extra cost, no pooey diaper smell ever.

I did try cleaning the diaper pails and never found anything that worked, although I admit that I didn't try tea tree oil cotton balls...

If I were you, I'd give it up as a lost cause and just throw your diapers away in the trash.

I 2nd Andrea. I walk the stink diapers outside to the trash. Its worth the few extra steps!

1 / 3