Isn't the "Don't Call Anyone Between 9 Pm & 9 Am" Rule Universal?

I don't like getting phone calls after 9. I put my kids down early & I usually go to bed early too. If the phone rings I immediately assume its an emergency & when its not I let the person know we go to bed early EVERY night.

DO you all feel the same & if your not one to go to bed early do you call people late?

:)

Lol...in my home we ask people not to call after 730 unless there is an emergency. My youngest gets up pretty early so I don't care how early people call. Chances are if its between 7-740 I won't answer bc I'm getting my oldest ready for school. But generally speaking yes I think it's rude to call late at night and I usually let that person know. I know which friends have kiddos that start the day early and which ones have kids that sleep in. I'll call sil at 8 sometimes earlier if needed. But my sisters kids sleep in I won't call her until after 10.

I try to follow that rule BUT if I am on facebook and I see them on I quick ask if I can call, or text them if it is ok to call. With family all over the US and world it is sometimes hard to always follow that rule.

At least for me if a friend or family calls after 9pm or before 9am it is something that is important to them and I do listen and reply. If I am really tired my cell phone is on silent & only the alarm will go off so it will go to voicemail.

I definitely follow this rule. If I know I am calling someone with small children I won't call after 8PM. I can honestly say we rarely get calls after 9PM but we do get them earlier than 9AM from people who know we will be awake anyway.

If my phone rings after 8 or 9 pm, then that is a strange call, yes. My husband's cell? - not so strange.

When I was in High School my parents said not to call after 10pm. If it was 10:01, Dad would get mad. If a teen called our house super-late and woke up my dad, he'd take it upon himself to call the teenager at 6am and wake them up (or worse, wake up their parents).

I am generally in bed by 10pm. I do not call people past dinner time usually. That's often their family time or I know they're trying to put their kids to bed. I did call my friend last night at 9:30, but I KNEW she was up and so was her kid. If I didn't call her then, I wouldn't be able to figure out if we had a playdate today or not until later this morning (they stay up late, get up late. If I called her at 9am, she'd still likely be asleep).

We don't have a land line. Rather, we have 3 cells phones, mine, my husband's and a 3rd line that I keep next to my bed. No one knows that phone number except my parents and his parents and it is for emergencies. We leave our cell phones in the kitchen where we cannot hear them at night.

Our parents know to call us on that 3rd line if there's an emergency. We almost never get woken up in the middle of the. Once, my MIL called when my FIL had a stroke. Well, that's what it's there for. Also, we left it on the kitchen table for the baby sitter, just in case.

What time zone. I live in hawaii... We are 6 time zones off of yours... I call past 3pm and it will be past 9 your time...

Yeah, definitely no calls after 9. Some friends we are close to can call in the morning after 8am because they know we're up and they've got little ones too so they're up as well. Imagine this... Husbands family is on the west coast and we're on the east coast. They "forget" about the time diff. We've had calls at 11pm (8pm their time) and scared the heck out of us, all in the name of "hi, how are you guys?"

I would never call someone late unless it was an emergency or if I'm looking for one of my kids Grrr... During the years you are raising a teen you'll understand that one.

I agree with you. I also like to go to bed early.

No, you are NOT the only one who feels this way...However, I just posted with Jo G about the Weiner scandal....values and morals have gone by the way side.....

If my phone rings after 2100, like you, I assume it's an emergency....and I do get upset when it's "let's chat"....when I lived in Europe - it was hard for friends and family at first to calculate the time change (9 hours for California and 6 for DC)...so I could get calls at all hours...for that - I really couldn't get upset...

I admit - I've called someone before 0900 - but on her cell KNOWING she is up at 0600 every day....she's FINE with that. As long as I don't call the house phone...

it's OKAY to tell people - "this is NOT an emergency - I'm going back to bed"

I hate the phone to ring after 9, I'm the same way, it sets off the fight or flight instinct. That's what I love about texting now. If a friend has something to say they can quietly text me and not send my heart to the rodeo with a ringing phone.
It's common courtesy ... well not common to some I suppose otherwise it would never happen.
You have to inform your friends and family. Some people are night owls, and don't realize they are bugging.

1 / 3