Is Your Husband Addicted to XBOX/ PS3 Games?

If so, how do you deal with it?

My husband is overall a great guy and a very good father except when he gets stuck playing video games for hours on end. We've tried time constraints but he doesn't stick to them because 'there's no save point until I finish this section'.

My husband is the same way. I let him play for a little while then If I need something I take the baby to him. Also if I need some me time, I take the baby in there with him and say here he needs some daddy time:)! BTW, we have a 7 month old boy. Sometimes I have to remind him that he has a family.

My husband - no. Me - sometimes. But I'm better now! Games are a beautiful and attractive waste of time. I love them. It's almost meditation. But when all is said and done, what have you really accomplished after spending hours achieving the next level? Try to judge the level of your husbands addiction. Would he try to finish a level if the house were burning down around him? If yes, then the man needs some professional help. I try to put it in perspective. On the one hand, it keeps me from SPENDING money doing anything else. On the other hand, it keeps me from EARNING money doing anything else. I've trained myself to say (to myself) - 'it's just a game - I can play it again at any time' and with that I pull the plug and walk away. Not everyone can do this on their own. I also tell myself it's a great retirement plan - to be able to spend all day playing once all my work is all finished. Some day, I'll be able to play 24/7 if that's really what I want to do. But right now I've got a life to live in the real world with my family and I don't want to miss any of that.

I have the same problem... please share ideas...

I'm sorry LV but I had to giggle when I read your post! My son is 9 and I get that "excuse" all the time! :) My husband played pc games all the time when we were newly married before we had kids. There weren't PS3s or Wiis back then. He's "grown" out of it....not sure how young you guys are...but hopefully yours will too! Good Luck....I know first hand how frustrating this is!

Didn't read the other responses, but we don't have any game systems in our house because I saw what it did to my brother and sister in law. They divorced because he had a serious issue/addiction to gaming. She said the last straw was when she came home and her youngest was on the toilet crying and her husband was too busy playing games to help him. I know some people joke about it, but if you really think its an addiction, nothing will change if nothing changes.

YES!!!! My husband is definitely a gamer. He doesn't deny his addiction, but through time he has learned to control it. Also, I used to completely resent his playing, but then he asked me to play World of Warcraft with him. I was immediately addicted to that game (lol). Even though my husband is considered a gamer, I can easily find myself distracted with other hobbies and interests...when I get involved in a project my focus is 100% on it until I am finished. I no longer see the gaming as an addition, but as my husband's hobby/interest. I wouldn't appreciate him asking me to give up my interests so I try to see things from his perspective. After we found our balance, gaming hasn't been an issue. AND, it's also something we can do together at times. My latest addiction--Rock Band!

Oh my gosh, yes! It's not XBOX/PS3 tho, it's World of Warcraft (see another post below). I advise you to never let your dh get near this highly addicive PC game. Both my teen son & dh play it. My husband is worse than my ds, however. I can easily say I hate this game!
I've tried reasoning that speding so much time gaming was not setting a good example for our child, etc. but nothing worked. Finally I had to get angry...GRRR. Now we compromise. Dh plays a certain number of days per week and that's it. Lately he's spending more time in the real world and fewer in the virtual one. And what do you think results from this? Yes, more real things get done around the real house (too bad dragons are going un-slayed out there somewhere).
During game time, I now take time for myself ("me time" as opposed to "me working around the house while dh plays" time). I take time to read, catch up on email, do my nails or get a manicure, take a yoga class, etc. It makes the situation far less frustrating.

Good luck & thanks for sharing. It's good to know I'm not alone! ;)

~K. (of-the-real-not-virtual-world)

MY husband is beyond addicted. I ask strickly that he wait until after the kids go to bed to play. He does, but he plays for 6+ hours after that. There is no cure for my husband, but I am thankful that I know where he is, he's not out carousing and he's not drunk or anything else. I do insist that he spend at least one evening a week with me doing something I enjoy, Otherwise I take the time to engage in my hobbies.

No, but I think I could find the breaker-box if he was. ;-)

1 / 3