Is Your House "Decorated"?

I love my house... but when I walk around, I see my list of decorating projects in my head. :)

I have 3 kids (6, practically 3 and almost 5). We moved in 2 years ago, and it looks ok in most of the rooms, but most still are lacking the "finishing touches" to make them homey. Example, we still have no window treatments in the livingroom, dining room, or den. We painted most of the rooms, but not the bathrooms, or the den... the bedrooms look fine, and the living room is good but for the missing window treatments.

I'm just feeling like by now I should have had some of this stuff done! I have a plan for a "family portrait" wall, but it's not done... I have framed photos (the only professional ones we've ever had done) that are not hung...

Just curious if I am the only one. It seems like when I visit friends houses they are all "perfect" and completely decorated. Maybe they've lived there longer than they've had kids or something... why am I not able to get this stuff done!

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help, you make me feel better!

It was nice to be reminded that people with perfect houses might not have perfect portfolios :) I honestly hadn't thought of that... we are on a budget, and we pay for things when we can afford them... plus I'm picky and don't know what I want and don't want to settle on something big like living room curtains.

I'll focus on the smaller (less expensive) stuff and continue to save time and money for the big stuff.

Everyone I know that has a perfectly decorated home hired an interior decorator. They also have homes that really don't reflect their personalities.

My house isn't done and who knows when it will be but at least what is up on the walls reflects who I am and not who I hired.

I have been in my home for 19 years if that makes you feel any better. :)

LOL! Yup in Early American Garage Sale with eclectic accents of Hand Me Down!!!

Seriously, I worry more about keeping it clean and comfy! Pretty and "just so" is not where I want to spend time and money!

I wonder the same thing too. I think Jane is right, they are in debt. I have not had the "balls" (forgive the term) to put it on credit. The only things that go on credit are immediate needs. Not that immediate needs did not rack up a ton of dept. If i started perfecting my house, we would be in debt until the day we died. We go slowly :)

If by "decorated" you mean are there toys strewn about, dishes to be done, and art projects on the table...then yes! My house is TOTALLY decorated. If you mean do I have a theme and everything fancy...the nope. I LIVE in my house.
Laura

J., I'm an interior designer and most of my friends houses are so much more "decorated" than mine. its good that you have plans in your head. Maybe you are a bit like me- you don't want to settle to just get something on your windows, you're waiting to invest in just the right thing and until you find it and have money to purchase it, you'd rather have nothing. Also, my husband and I have no debt but savings. All my friends with "finished" houses are in debt and went in debt to furnish. So maybe you are just wise with your money. I also have art waiting to get hung. thats part laziness and part waiting to feel like I've found the perfect spot for it. I'm also an artist and getting around to hanging art is cause for major procrastination. I mean, you have to get out power tools, a level, measuring thingy, you have to go to the hardware store........I feel you sister!

I don't "decorate." We are minimalist. We have few pictures on the walls, and I am going to keep it that way.

I have a lot of friends that truly "decorate,' but I find our minimalist approach to be "perfect" --for us.

Absolutely. I have 3 kids -- 10, 6, and almost 3. We're really just starting to turn to the decorating projects again. Walls are going to wait until the youngest is through the colors-on-the-walls phase, and then we're going to start decorating for real. It will probably take several years as we work our way through the house, but it will be fun to transform the place from a place decorated in the "small child" style to a place that looks reasonably nice.

Of course, there's a lot of cleaning, decluttering, and organizing that's going to have to go along with that project, which is one of the reasons I suspect it will take that long.

Is anyone's house ever really done? I am always finding things that need done, pictures to hand, curtains to hang or change out...I don't think it's ever really finished.

But yes, I have pictures up, painted walls (some rooms are done), and deorative touches. We're far from done though and moved in 3.5 years ago!

I don't have any children at my house and I still to this day have never bought curtains for my bedroom. You will get around to it one day...my suggestion...get in your mind one thing you want to accomplish ...do that...and then after awhile do another thing...no pressure...it's no big deal!

1 / 3