Is This Normal for a 5 Year Old?

My son who is 5 repeats things alot. If he is excited about something (i.e., carwash), he will keep asking about it and repeating what I said 10 times a day or more. I ask him why he needs to repeat, and he says "because he does". I think he also might have OCD. He blinks alot and makes weird noises with his mouth throughout the day. He constantly lifts his pants up even if its tight around his waist and I can see he does it more when he is put on the spot. Is this normal?

Thank you everyone! I feel like I am so alone..the kids in his class and in our neighborhood think he is a bit off. But as one mom says, it is totally normal at this age, when do I start worrying? I have brought this up to the pediatrician, and she thinks he's normal but she doesn't see him day to day. She sees him for 10 minutes. What if she's wrong. Another thing is that we have individual coverage for insurance and I read somewhere that if you have autism or that spectrum, they can deny you coverage? When is it okay and when do you stary worrying? I will have to do more research, but again a big THANK YOU to everyone!

What you describe is often easily treated with homeopathy.
Call it whatever you like.
When my son had some issues-anger and a tic of looking over his left shoulder repeatedly-he responded to the homeopathic remedy the most.
All of the therapy etc did not seem to effect it at all.
The thing with homeopathic medicine is that if you find the right remedy it is magical. But, there are more than 2000 remedies!
So, I highly suggest finding a trained professional that homeopathy is their specialty. I can suggest Dr.Tim Shannon in Portland. He is great and he works with kids.

I started with Dr. Ullman in Washington he is the author of ritilan free kids. If Dr. Shannon does not work I would see about a referral from Dr. Ulmann.

There are lots of alternative treatments out there. I find
that nutritional issues often effect brain development also.
A good Omega III can help with brain development in kids.
I hope this helps.

M. Hawkins, LAc
###-###-####

It is probably TOTALLY NORMAL but I'd have him tested- Lots of stuff is missed in childhood- As far as the tic goes could just be a nervous habit he will break? Some of the things you stated they grow out of-- I firmly believe all kids should get a eval
Good luck and don't freak out just yet;-)
L

It's certainly happens a LOT --- . Is your boy extra bright?? -- There is a kind of behaviour that goes with Asbergers' syndrome. OCD is also a possibiility- as is ''just being who he is''--. He is NO way alone - .
Forgive me, A.-- I'm going to tell you a slightly long story. A little girl started walking- but always - always on her tiptoes -- doctors - physical specialists - for years her parents tried to 'correct' her - no physical reason- no remedy- though the parents tried hard to find out--. One day- a doctor said '''' she needs to be in ballet'' - they took her to PNB- she was incredibly talented - and as soon as she started ballet- she stopped walking on her toes. We can create a problem - or we can celebrate their incredible gifts -- NO child is a vanilla '''exactly average'' --- Blessings dear heart-
J.- aka- Old Mom

A.-

First off, don't panic. I am going to say some words that depending on how much t.v./movie specials you've watched may freak you out. BUT DON'T PANIC. Remember, despite what the tv execs say, shows are not reality.

It sounds very similar to my son's symptoms 8 years ago; it sounds like Tourette's. (Again, don't panic!) The repeating words-- ecolalia, repetative motions- tics, and noises -- vocal tics, are all tell tale signs. (Don't panic) In addition OCD is often a secondary issue with Tourette's. (Don't panic :))

My 13 year old son has Tourette's which presents itself with rather mild tic symptoms and is accompanied by OCD. He is a straight 'A' student, has many good friends, plays on baseball and basketball teams, does Tae Kwon Do, participates in Boy Scouts, plays both the piano and drums.... I can go on and on. Tourette's is just something extra he has had to learn to work around, just as anybody with asthma, diabetes, allergies, etc. To be honest with you the OCD has caused bigger issues than the tics.

I highly recommend you make an appointment with a pediatric nuerologist. You will notice I used the words 'sounds like': I can't diagnos your son :), duh. I don't know where you are located but OHSU has a terrific set up. They even have a Tourette's medical group that is made up of pediatric specialists from multiple fields. We saw Dr. Koch, pronounced Coke, for the official diagnosis. Now we just return every 6 months, or so, to check in. They have also been able to help us with controlling the OCD, which got bad for us as we entered puberty. (Yea rah, puberty.)

I know this next bit of advice will sound counter intuitive but at this point DO NOT visit the Tourette's Assoc website question and answer section. It will freak you out. So often the people who write in with questions/issues are at the end of their rope and their feelings of desperation are quite strong.

Get a good pediatric nuerologist and read, read, read.

Please also feel free to contact me via this website.

Remember: don't panic :).

Call it whatever you like.

I hope this helps.

M. Hawkins, LAc
###-###-####

Sounds a little more than just OCD his "tics" remind me of tourrete syndrome. I dont want to scare you but I would have it looked at. I think its normal to repeat things over and over my daughter does that but the pulling up his pants and the blinking a lot and the noises with his mouth seem as if it may be something more but really may be nothing more than his personality. I would bring it up next time you are at his Dr.s and if they aren't willing to look further into it find someone that will. good luck.

The repeating seems to be totally normal. My son just turned 6 and will repeat the same thing ten times in ten minutes or less.

The blinking and odd noises put me in mind of Tourett's Syndrome. But I have my medical degree from a bubble gum machine so take this as you will.

Hope at least some of this helps,

My son is 6 and repeats things a lot. It's usually pretty normal for this age. It's their way of trying to get our attention. My son will repeat himself over and over if he believes I'm not listening. As for whether or not your son may have OCD, I have OCD and blinking a lot and making noises from his mouth are not OCD signs/signals. My son also is a toothpick, so even if his pants are on, up and a belt is looped tightly around it, he is constantly fidgeting with his pants. Might have to equip your little man with a pair of slim jeans or the jeans that have the adjustable strap on the inside with buttons. If at all, you are concerned for anything your son's behavior is displaying, don't be afraid to mention it to his doctor. I took my son in for some other underlining symptoms he kept displaying in his behavior. We got a referral to a behavioral therapist (this was 2 yr ago). He was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Disorder. He doesn't require meds, but has to see a therapist for awhile to help him learn how to cope with this disorder. I'm glad I mentioned something or even though I was only trying to help, I could've hindered my son's learning skills. I hope this helps and good luck! :D

If you think he might have OCD, I'd get him checked, if for nothing else than peace of mind... but just from what you describe, sounds TOTALLY normal to me. In fact, if he's only repeating 10 times a day, I'd feel blessed. When my son was 5 he might repeat something 10 times in 5 minutes. And keep repeating/brining it up over and over again all day from breakfast to bedtime. If it's something "funny" we're talking non-stop for hours...but not in the same way a friend of mine who's child is autistic will repeat things for hours.

Most young children have a repeat-until-mastered thing going on with them (one reason why starfall works so well for teaching reading), and then that thing that they've been repeating...once mastered... is then "comfy". Why a child can watch a movie 100+ times, and an adult can only watch it occasionally or they become bored with it. There's also a lack of "impulse control". If they're excited about something, it's constantly burbling out over and over to the same person... whereas an adult might be equally excited, but keep it in their head... or a teenager calls 50 friends to tell each and every one of them how excited they are.

So I would say, sounds totally normal to me, but if it feels really off to YOU ... by all means, get a professional opinion.

:)

Making noises and repeating things can also be a sign of Tourette's. A friend of mine has a son who was diagnosed with it. Those are things that he does.
It can be dealt with. And her son is extremely bright. He's always coming up with new and inventive ideas.
Please get him checked out. If you aren't happy with what you are told keep searching.
Good Luck and Enjoy your child!

1 / 3