Is There Really a LEAK PROOF Straw Sippy Cup Out There???

My son gets speach therapy and the therapist wants him to use a straw rather than a regular sippy cup. I have bought many different straw sippy cups and although they claim to be leak proof - they arent! As soon as I close the cover the liquid comes out of the straw - very frustrating! The only way to avoid that from happening is if I fill the cup 1/2 way - thats just irritating. What good is a cup that can only be filled 1/2 way! And it also makes it hard to travel with when I can only take 1/2 a cup full!!! UGH!!! If anyone has a good experience with a Straw sippy cup I would love to hear it!

YES - there is a leakproof cup out there. I have tried the playtex brand straw sippy cup and they claim to be spill proof but arent! I took Lee P.'s advice and bought the Thermos brand and they work great! They have plastic ones and also stainless. Both work great - NO LEAKS EVER!!!!!

Thanks Everyone for your input!

My 4 year old has some straw cups made by Munchkin with Backyardigans characters on them (other cartoons are available too). They don't leak because there is a valve in the straw. Also the top folds down and covers the straw. The only problem I have is if they ever get lost with milk or juice in them they are very hard to clean out, especially the straw and valve parts. I have some of the cheap take and toss straw cups. You have to put the lid on first and then put the straw through, otherwise the liquid squirts out the straw when you close the lid with the straw in place.

I've never used a sippy with a straw that didn't leak, and I tried them all.

What we use now that has worked WONDERFULLY - NO LEAKS AT ALL, is a child's thermos from Thermos. :o) They cost a little more than sippy cups, but they work, they keep drinks cold, and they don't leak. Plus, they can go with the kids into the future years, as they hold more liquid than most sippy cups, and they are *not* baby cups, so to speak. They have a pop up soft straw, like the sippy cups, but the way it closes keeps it from leaking. It doesn't even drip or splash out when you open the top, which I found lots of the straw sippy cups did, if they didn't outright leak, and that annoyed me too.

Here is what I'm talking about, but there are lots of different styles. We got ours at Target.

http://shopthermos.com/detail/TMS+F4000BM6

Playtex Insulator Straw Sippy Cups - the best! I swear by these. They do not leak at all. Make sure you tighten them past the dots on the lid. You can find them at drugstores, grocery stores & babies r us, but surprisingly they are hard to find at Target & Walmarts! They are the BEST and the ONLY kind I buy. I learned the hard way after using another brand that leaked in my purse and ruined my digital camera. This one will NOT leak! Yay!!

This is what they look like: http://www.playtexbaby.com/CupsMealtime/Insulator-Cup/Ins...

Good luck! :)

I have several different Playtex ones that I've never had problems with.

Are you screwing on the top too tight? Occasionally if I over tighten the lid, it might come out the straw.

My son has only ever used straw cups and I'd say I've had maybe 2 leaks in the 2 years he's been using them.

I find the ones that have the little flippy at the top that goes over the straw really help. I believe it's Playtex that makes these.

Only have him drinking when he is seated and can put the sippy down on a flat surface. Carry the rest of the milk/water in a water bottle or whatever, in your purse.

I bought ours at buybuybaby a while back b/c I heard it was better for babies in general. The name has worn off but the blue one has a turtle on one side and measurement lines. It has a flip top and clear colored bottom. The store reps are really helpful. I think the wrapper at the top is brown paper looking.
Also safe sippy now makes one with a top and it's stainless steel inside.
Nuby has one that I got on diapers.com that I like too. These all still work for us and our daughter loves them. I like the first one best b/c they keep the bottle down instead of having to lift it up like a bottle. Good luck!

I find if they are left sitting out and start to get warm, they will start to leak. Be sure the cup is in the fridge when he isn't using it. The Playtex cups recommended by other moms are definitely the best!

www.LiveYourDreamsAtHome.com

1 / 3