Is There Any Other Pain Medicines Besides an Epidural?

im kind of new up here and i was just wondering if anyone knows if theres any other pain medications besides an epidural?

I'm assuming you mean for labor and delivery?

Epidurals are diffused across cell membranes. This means that the medication can migrate to the baby over time depending on how long it's in place before delivery. The same goes from spinal anesthesia, which is sometimes used (though more commonly in c-sections). The alternative to regional anesthesia is IV drugs which go into your bloodstream and reach the baby through the placenta almost immediately. They have more of a sedative effect of the fetus than does the epidural, though there are many reasons that women avoid getting epidurals and spinals as well. IV drugs that are usually used are Demerol and Stadol. You should know that they don't completely remove the pain for every woman (nor does regional anesthesia) and they can also alter how you feel, for instance they can make you very groggy and sometimes nauseous. If you go to babycenter.com you can read plenty about the different types of pain relief for labor and delivery.

Talk with your Doctor about what is out there, there are a lot of options. I liked the Epidural because it limited the pain while leaving my mind sharp. When they gave me Demerol it did nothing for my pain, and made me too loopy to control my pain on my own. They ended up having to give me a spinal block so I could sleep until the Demerol wore off. For some it can work well, but I would be sure of how you react to it before making it your drug of choice for this special day.

Your doctor can give a good sized list as to what you wanted to be besides an epidural because natural child birth sucks A LOT trust me on this one. It's not like you have to have something thats going to totally knock you out or that you can't feel anything you just might need something to take away the pain or at least the edge off while your are in labor.

I had demerol with my first two. Mostly it made me drowsy. My third I was induced so I had pitocin. Once my water broke I couldn't handle the pain so I gave in and had an epidural. That ended up being a bad decision for me - my blood pressure dropped and the baby went into distress (little to no heartbeat). I was 30 seconds away from an emergency c-section when they got things stabilized. With my 4th I had NOTHING and it was good. (And that was a 9 pound baby!) For me it is only the last hour that is hard for me, but my husband coached me through that. I read Husband Coached Child Birth (Bradley Method) which helped me A LOT. And once my husband finally read it (or parts I highlighted for him) with the 4th he understood how to help. I also recommend doing squats the last month of your pregnancy to "stretch" you out - helps avoid an episiotomy (at least it helped me).

I had Demerol for my first baby along with the epidural...worked great. For the second, I just had the epidural....and it was painless, yes, really...painless. Now, my last baby I had an epidural and narcotics and all failed...nothing worked and it was tough...so make sure you read up on natural childbirth and pressure points (I hadn't, wish I had), just in case the drugs don't work.

Wishing you the best,

yes... they gave me a pain med by IV - it sort of works.. it still hurt but I was able to sleep for a couple of hours.. (my labor was overnight).

I would not be afraid of the epidural.. it is wonderful.. takes away the pain and you are not groggy.

Try not to use medications for birth. Natural is the best. You can do it be strong for your baby.

Most people on this list had described most of the medication available. All of the medication DOES cross the placenta, and has an effect on your baby. You can get ofne of 2 narcotics-Nubain or Stadol. All of these also can have side effects for you. I assume this is your first baby.
I have to disagree with the posting that told you childbirth sucks. It does not for many many women. I do teach HypnoBirthing. Many of my students do have a birth that is not painful or is very easy to work with.
Saying that, please take the time to read books such as:" A thinking women's guid to a better birth"- Henci Goer,: " Ina Mae's Guide to Natural Childbirth"- Ina Mae Gaskin.
Water is a great way to help yourself relax in labor.
You can birth without drugs, which is better for you and your baby. Every drug that you receive increases your chances of getting a C-section
Go on youtube and type in natural birthing, and watch the videos.
L. M

1 / 3