Is There a Stomach Bug Going Around? - San Antonio,TX

I'm just trying to diagnose what has happened to my kids. My 1 year old started Amoxicyln (sp?) for an ear infection and 24 hours later developed "loose stools". I would call it diarrhea, but my pediatrician kept calling it "loose stools". So, I cut out her grapes and increased her banana and rice intake. Last night, she threw up on me and today she has practically needed a new diaper every 15 minutes. She has wanted to eat, but is still drinking plenty of soy and breast milk. My 3 year old, vomited 3 times this evening, can't hold his food or liquid down, and also has diarrhea. Here is the weird part. Other than their bowels being messed up, they are acting totally normal. Running around, playing chase, stacking and knocking blocks down. They just won't eat and can't keep it down.

So, is there a bug? How long will this last? Should I just keep pushing fluids until he can keep things down. He really is happy, just unable to eat.

Yes, viral gastroenteritis is going around. You should keep pushing the fluids to prevent dehydration. The child on amoxicillin is just having a normal reaction to antibiotics. Diarrhea is a side effect of all antibiotics, not all people respond the same and diarrhea can be worse in some people. Just keep desitin or whatever diaper cream you prefer on their bottoms to prevent excoriation of the skin from the diarrhea. Also feed them bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast if they have been vomiting. Antibiotics do not help w/viral infections, however they will be needed for the ear infection. Hope this was helpful for you.
K., emergency room RN

K., emergency room RN

My kids haven't had it yet (knock on wood), but I have. I just had nausea and the (a-hem) diarrhea. I was pretty miserable for about a day and a half, but now I'm feeling better. As far as stomach virus's go this one is pretty tame as far as I'm concerned!!

There is a stomach bug going around. I have been fortunate until today. Luckily the kids don't have it (yet anyway) but I do. My "other mother" as well as several friends of mine have it as well.

On a side note, Amoxicillin (sp?) can also cause diarrhea. I did not know that until recently when we filled a prescription for my daughter and the phamacists told me. It never caused it with years of use in the past with my kids, but apparently it is possible for it to cause diarrhea.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

Camomille tea may save the day here. I've found with the adults and kids, we can drink this when we can't keep anything else down. It's very soothing and calming on the digestive system. It might help a bit.

Good luck...

Yes I think there is something around for sure. It is flu season, both of my kids just got over the flu and stomach bug, ear infections and upper respitory. I think the main thing is to keep getting fluids as much as possible so they don't get dehydrated, as long as they are drinking their tummies might not be able to hold the food right now. Make sure they are drinking though. Pedialyte is good for hydrating and for children w/ diarehaa and vomitting. Also my dr says amoxicyln can cause diarehha also, to give yogurt if they have loose stools. My daughter got a bad virus one time and I could not get her to drink or eat anything. 2 days of trying I took her to the E.R. b/c my dr was closed. she was dehydrated and had to have an iv for fluids. So don't let this get out of hand or it could turn to something worse than a bug! hope I helped!!

Yes there is a bug going around my mom had it last weekend. But be aware that antibiotics can cause the loose stools and throwing up also. My son has been on 5 anti-biotics last month from ear infections.

Sorry to say there is a bug going around.My child came down with it throwing up and loose stools.And a friend of mine her children practically the whole family to .And she lives on the other side of town.We don't see each other tile Sundays.We just talk on the phone every once in a while.It usually last 2 to a week.Just give them plenty of liquids.Pedialyte baby and gatorade for the other no milk that makes it worse on throwing up.Didn't your Doctor tell you not to give them milk.It just have to take it's course with lots of liquids.Hope I help you .

There is DEF something going around. My ENTIRE family just got over it and my hubby even had it and he never gets sick. From what you are saying its like what went around here as I was calling it the "Both ends" bug since it was affecting. . .well "both ends". Luckily it passed within 48 hours but that was the longest 48 hours! Ugh!

1 / 3