Is There a False Economy to "Make Your Own Baby Food"?

Ladies -

I thought we'd be in the make your own camp, but to get started I ordered a set of earth's best fruits and veg from amazon.

They cost roughly 75cents a jar. Two months into feeding and we've spent a total of $36 between cereal and fruit, veg and dinners on baby food.

Little guy is showing an increased interest in our foods and is eating real melon, grapes, bananas, pears, apples through the mesh feeder. He's also been fed fork mashed unsalted adult food off my plate, i.e. brocolli, chicken, potatoes, pasta.

The books all tout how cost effective it is to make your own. Our little guy was on "baby food" for such a short stint, that I question the economy. I am glad I didn't spend money on a steamer, food processor, and specialty ice cube trays.

Even if we bought another 2 or 3 months supply of prepared baby food, I think we'd still come out ahead of the game.

Am I missing something? Do I have this all wrong?

We don't do special equipment. (When they're old enough,) I take a bit of everything out of the pots and pans before seasoning and mush it with a fork. If that's still too hard or chunky for my kids, it means (to me) they're not ready for that particular food.
No steamer, no processor, no ice cube trays.

And really, "specialty" ice cube trays?! Give me a break!

Well...IMO homemade baby food costs nothing on top of the cost of the food, which was stuff that I was buying for my family anyway. Everyone has pots and pans, most people have a blender or food processor and a few ice cube trays. Add a some ziploc bags and a sharpie to label them and that's all you need.

Since I already have all that equipment in my kitchen, making my own is cheaper, but it's not always about the money, either. It's sometimes about nutrition and food safety and other such things. That being said, each person decides what's best for their family and does that. =)

I already had the blender and food processor so we only had to buy the trays for freezing. For us it was just a healthier way to feed our son.

We still use our steamer and food processor and will for years, so I consider it an investment. Oh, and I just bought ice cube trays from the dollar store, and once they were frozen put them in a ziplock.

I can make dozens of batches of baby food from, say a couple pounds of zucchini. (Which are generally .75-1.00 a pound here.) Where as, I could only buy a handful of jars with that. Not to mention there are crazy amounts of citric acid in baby food. They are also tasteless, so babies (in my opinion.) have a hard time transitioning to the taste of real food.

Ummm, people buy a steamer for baby food? They make specialty steamers just for baby food? I just steamed veggies for us and then put it into our blender with water and froze in a normal icecube tray.

I spent $6 on a mini food processor/chopper when my oldest was 6 months old. I then used fruits and veggies I already bought for my husband I, steamed or cooked them and pureed in the mini chopper, froze in ice cube trays I already owned (and one extra I bought for a whole dollar) and then put into freezer bags.

So making baby food for my kids cost me $7. They both started solids at 6 months and by 9 months were eating chopped up table foods, and by 10 months or so were self feeding finger foods and using a toddler fork.

Spending that much money on special equipment for feeding your baby is not required. Like I said, I spent $7 on 'stuff' to make baby food for my kids. It was cheaper, healthier (by far!) and tasted better. Propaganda not required!

There was a time when people fed their babies without specialized equipment, right?

I never heard of or used any of those specialized baby food equipment you're mentioning.

I had a hand held baby food grinder that went everywhere with us and I would say it paid for itself.

Sounds like your fork has done the trick!

Happy eating!

I bought no special equipment, per se, to make all my daughter's baby food. For the most part she ate a texture modified version of what I was eating. I got by just fine with my mini food processor, regular old ice cube trays, and the steamer I already owned. I would often make batches and freeze stuff, but she mostly ate what I ate from the time she started taking solids around nine or ten months. She had no teeth until she was a year so things had to be broken down to a certain extent.

1 / 3