Is the Twighlight Series OK for My 10 Year Old?

Hi everyone! My son is 10 and a half (4th Grade) but is mature for his age and is a very good reader. In fact, his most recent state test scores classified his reading at a 12th grade level. He has read all the books in the Harry Potter series and enjoys interesting books at that level. We went to see the movie "Twighlight" when it came out and I didn't think there was anything inappropriate in the movie, so when he asked, I let him buy the book with his allowance money. Now he wants to read the 2nd book, "New Moon" and probably will want to continue with the rest of the series. Has anyone out there read the whole series? Is there anything in there that would be considered "adult" and inappropriate for a ten year old? From the first book he understands the theme of temptation between the two main characters, but so far it hasn't become sexual at all. But I'm wondering if it is going to get into sexual theme in future books. Anyone have some advice on this??

Thanks so much to all of you for giving your opinions on this!! From what all of you have said, I think I will let him complete the 2nd and 3rd books and then make him wait awhile longer for the 4th one. As some of you have suggested, this will be a good opportunity to discuss the more mature subject matter, which is something we've been needing to do anyway. I think it will be a good opener to discuss romance and how relationships progress and that some stuff will make more sense to him when he's a little older. He's a very mature 10-year old, already getting body hair and even a few pimples, so I think the time for these discussions is drawing near anyway. YIKES! Thanks again - your input was so helpful!

I am on book # 4 right now Breaking Dawn and there hasnt' been anything sexual up until the last book. I wouldn't consider it graphic though, you may want to proof read the last one before hand if he wants to read that one but the other 3 should be fine.

I know a friend of mine...who is 22, is reading the series, and I don't remember which one he is on right now, but he was saying there was one or two graphic sexual "scenes". For example, the first time the two main characters make love, the are two large area's torn out of the headboard.

My 13 year old daughter says she does not think it is appropriate for a 10 year old. I have not read it, but my husband has...he's not here right now for me to ask, though - sorry!!

I read all four books to see what the kids I taught were reading. The four get more and more intense and the sexual tension gets pretty noticeable. At some points in the third book she is "begging" for them to be together. The fourth book is very graphic and if you are not ready to have the talk with your son I would not let him read it. Not only with the actual act being way intense, when Bella has the baby it is very disturbing if you did not know how babies are actually delivered. I think 10 is a little young for the Twilight series.

****Possible SPOILERS BELOW***
I love these books, but I just wanted to point out a concern. Your son is 10, and these books are mature. I agree that you need to find a way to introduce the topic, but no matter what his reading level is, do you really think a 10 year-old is ready for the confusing ideas about love/immortality/sex that these books introduce? Edward constantly worries about hurting Bella, about losing control, etc. I'd be afraid that this might confuse your son about love and physical relationships, especially in the 4th book where Edward does bruise Bella during sex on their honeymoon. Aside from that, the second book is much darker than the first, with Bella suffering intense depression when Edward leaves her, curling up in the forest and almost dying from hypothermia (and later she even goes so far as to "jump" off a cliff). She say it's not suicide but it could confuse your son at his age about what it means to love someone and/or how people handle losses. Edward even attempts to commit suicide b/c he can't live without Bella. There is also a sexual undertone to a incredibly sexy woman who lures innocent human tourists into the lair of Italian vampires, who then eat them all!
You'll do what you think is right, and you know your son better than anyone else. But I would not let my 10 year-old read these books, especially without reading them myself. I think the subject matter is far more adult than people are telling you.

Even though the Twilight series was for "teen audiences" I loved the movie enough to see it 5 times and then read the books 2 times. However, I personally don't think I would let my 10 yr old read them. Sex is implied of course because she gets pregnant and it is so 'good' he has to eat the pillow in order to keep from eating her. They are married before it happens but it was graphic enough for me that I have a picture in my mind. But, I didn't let my son see Titanic when it came out-so what can I say. Good Luck....

The characters Bella and Edward do have sex once they are married in the 4th book Breaking Dawn. It does not get really graphic they just say that a pillow was bitten and feathers are all over,the head board was broken and she has brusing all over her body. Also she becomes pregnant so you know they have sex. Later on in the book once she becomes a vampire they say she can not get enough of him and they can last all night without getting tired but again never actually says sex. So maybe you may want to read it before he does to make sure you think it is appropriate reading for a 10 year old.

I would go ahead and buy it and read it yourself, only then can you decide if it is appropriate for him. If you find passages that you don't think are appropriate yet consider if you would be ok with him reading them and then discussing the material afterward so that he gets some guidance on the themes and how they relate to you and your value structure. He is close to rounding the corner to puberty, so it's a good idea to start covering these topics now before he has the urge to explore on his own. Many of the classics, which at his reading level and while he has such an avid reading habit it might be a good idea to start him on, have sexual overtones and themes and some of them might be a good opening to a dialogue. I suggest reading the same materials that he is so that you can discuss these themes and start the dialogue now.

Good luck mama.

I have read the whole series quite a few times now and I personally dont think theres anything in it that is unsuitable for him to read..hope that helps some.
A.

My 13-yo granddaughter just read the series. It does touch on sex complete with baby, etc, etc. Not sure you want your 10 yo to grow up that fast.

I would recommend you read it yourself so you'll be better prepared to answer any questions he might come up with. The books are more graphic that the movie version.

~V~

I don't think it would hurt him, but if you are unsure you should read them first to decide. They are very good and a lot of mothers have read them to make sure they are okay for our children. There is even a website for mothers who are fans of the series. The third and fourth books do have a little more sexual content, but it is only implied. There is no sex scenes in these books.

1 / 3