Is Taking a "Z Pack" Antibiotic Safe While Nursing?

I'm nursing my 10 month old 4 times a day and I got sick... My dr prescribed z pack and told me it was safe to take and that it wont have any effects on my baby. Anyone have any experience with this? I haven't taken it yet but I really don't want to be sick!

I just finished one and am also nursing about 4 times in a 24 hour period. My doc also said it's totally fine for nursing (I also had to take a z-pack right when I had first found out I was pregnant, with no problems). The only effect it seemed to have was that my baby developed a slight diaper rash. I used Desitin and it cleared up right when I was finished with the antibiotics.

Ditto on the "yes, it's safe" from the pp's, and adding a link to Dr. Hale's website, which is a great resource for checking if meds of any sort .
http://66.230.33.248/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&...

I, too, took a z-pack while nursing my son, for a sinus infection. It is the only safe antibiotic for nursing moms. My son was not affected at all. Do yourself and daughter a favor and take it and get better!!! Being sick is not fun!

E.

Hi L., I'm a mother of three, breastfed all my kids. Z pack is safe. I'm also a Family Nurse Practitioner

No worries, you will be just fine.
Take cae, and hope you feel better soon

The very best thing to do in regard to any prescription given during pregnancy or breastfeeding is ASK. Ask your Pharmacist..sometimes doctors who aren't specialized in OB/ Gyn wont know but sometimes even OB/GYN's aren't on key either. I had an OB/Gyn prescribe a medication for my sinus infection when pregnant that when I asked the pharmacist about it he freaked out because you are WAY not supposed to take it when pregnant.I was so relieved I had asked. Same goes for Breastfeeding..so just ask a pharmacist before taking any prescriptions . :o)

i took it while nursing my 9 mo old (just last month) and he was fine. i actually asked this same question a few weeks back- you can search the site for my responses, there were many! but yes- it's ok to take. I actually took it during all 3 of my pregnancies.
feel better!

Hi L., I took Z-pak a couple times while nursing my son (mastitis-sp?) & once with my daughter. My OB prescribed it each time. I didn't have any problems & the kids didn't have side effects. Good luck & hope you're feeling better soon. :)

1 / 3