Is Sims 3 Game Appropriate for 9 Year Old?

My question is this: My 9 year old granddaughter is pushing me hard to let her get the Sims 3 "reality" game, and I am reluctant to do this, but I realize I don't know that much about it. She's telling me all about the features, like you can make your own people and dress them and design houses etc. but her friend is seeing commercials on TV and telling her things about the game that I don't approve of. I read the description on ebay where someone was describing it, and it is rated T for teens, but also says there is crude humor, sexual themes, and violence. Her argument is that you don't have to choose those things, she just wants to dress the people, etc. I've already made up my mind that she's not getting this game for a number of years, but I'm wondering if I'm over reacting, or if my instinct is correct. Also, is there a similar alternative game that a 9 year old and grandma could handle? Any suggestions?

Good for you N.! I wish there were more like you!!

Sims is not appropriate for 9 year olds. I tell my son that he needs to enjoy the things his age because soon he will out grow them and will miss out! I remind him how much he used to like Little People and Rescue Heroes...so, what if there is something their age now that they would love, but miss out because they jumped ahead to the next age group? He also secretly likes it when I tell him that parents who don't read the labels and follow the rules, must not really love their kids and we should feel sorry for them and try to help them.

okay...so, I think what you really asked for were some alternative...barbie.com,(free) groovie girls (need the doll) and webkins (need a stuffed animal) are all fun and age appropriate to do what she is wanting to do. Groovie Girls and Webkins have the ability to interact with her friend safely online.

Bless you for all that you do. She is so lucky to have you!

I like the Sims... and have played most of them including Sims 3. Although I'm a bit disappointed with Sims 3, I do think it is a game for a little older age group then 9 yrs. There is some violence, but you have to choose the trait that makes them want to fight. There is also some sexual acts - but they are done under covers and can create babies. Personnaly I think I would wait... I think most of the game rates are correct. If it's rated T... it should be for a teen or older. I know she won't be happy, but sometime protecting them makes them unhappy that the time you do it, but they understand later in life why you did what you did.

I've played a few Sims games in my day and I don't think it's appropriate for a 9 year old. Like pp said, there are blurred scenes of sex, toileting, shower etc. I supposed, it's a personal choice whether you're OK with your grandchild exposed to that or not. Personally, I would wait until maybe when she's 12 or 13. There are some innocent Sims games like Pets or Vets or some such, and other girly fashion dress up games. Your local library is a great place to check computer games out before you buy.

I haven't played Sims 3, but I used to play the Sims. I won't let my 12yo play it. :-( I disagree with the T for Teen rating, I think it should be rated for adults. There is no choosing those things, at least with the original Sims game it was a part of the progression of the game. I'd see if you can get a demo copy to play yourself and see if they have options to turn off the adult stuff. I highly doubt it though since it is rated T. :-/ Tell her to knock it off or you won't ever buy it for her. LOL

There are games like Zoo Tycoon and Roller Coaster Tycoon where you have to create a zoo or amusement park. It's very similar to Sims without the personal relationship stuff. I personally really enjoy Zoo Tycoon, but I'm an animal lover. :-)

N.,
I would say no to the game. I have a six year old who loves her DS system. On all games they have a parental label on the front that tells you what ages that game is suitable for. Check out the label. If it says rated only for teen, explain to her that label says she cant have right now. I would try to find a age appropriate game for her.
God bless you for taking on raising your granddaughter.

This game is fun! Im going to agree with some of the things that have been said, the making babies part is prob a little too mature for her however, im sure at 9 she already knows the birds and the bees. It isn't graphic and doesnt show anything that she doesn't already know what goes on in mom and dads bedroom. I dont think that the toilet/shower part is any big deal like one comment stated. we all shower and go bathroom. I think that you should play with her like someone stated previously and once you find out that it is just fine, im sure you wouldn't have any problem letting her play.

Sims is not appropriate. While you don't have to choose those things, they are there, easily accessible AND just like every other good kid out there she's curious. I remember peeking at Nat'l Geographic in Catholic School. Webkinz has an online site but if she thinks she's too old for that there are lots of other ones. You can even buy software in the stores to create your own fashions on the computer. That may be what she really wants. Be careful with those as well, if there is any role playing a lot of the teen stuff has snotty antagonists for some reason that are pretty bad role models.

My 9 year old, well he just turned 10, son has played this game. Sims 3 is actually supposed to have done away with a lot of the more annoying and sometimes inappropriate things (like sims peeing on the floor if you don't take them to the restroom). The sexual themes are only as prevalent as you make them, you have to get your sim a significant other, there's no nudity and they don't have sex, so it doesn't extend much further than having your sim walk up and kiss someone. Even that has to be initiated by the player. The violence is also very limited, you can get slapped for kissing a stranger but there is no blood or shooting or anything like that.

in regards to other games there aren't really any i can think of, and I can't say you are over reacting, things like this are a very personal choice but the game is pretty tame and actually rated more strictly than a lot of games.

my best advice, find a copy of the game that you can borrow or rent, and play it yourself. might not be something you'd enjoy but at least then you REALLY know what it is all about and can decide based on that.

well im 9 and its really fun theres no sexual unless you try for a baby even in the shower or bath its a blur so you wont see there ugghhh parts and its really fun for me i got when i was 9 im 9 right now i begged for it this 2010 christmas and i got it so you should get it for her!!!

1 / 3