Is Running the Ceilinfg Fan Safe for a Newborn?

I'm due in about 6 weeks and as I'm waiting for the bassinette to arrive I'm wondering about the sleeping situation when he;s in the room with us the frst little while. Normally, at night we turn off the AC and just use the ceiling fanin our bedroom, is this safe for a newborn? I was thinking about the dry throat & such that even adults can get with the ceiling fan running. Thanks for your input!

I know alot of pedis say its not a good idea because it will cause allergs and a runny/dry nose, we had to leave all fans off when my son was around them. I would keep the AC on so he dosent get to hot.

make sure he is not directly under it. If the bassinet has a hood, turn the hood towards the fan so it is not blowing on him.

I remember asking my ped. that when my 5 year old was born and he said that it would stir dust around even if the room was really clean and it was best to not use the fan. We are big fan users too (along with the A/C) but we tried not using it at least for a while at first. Congratulations on adding to your family!

We used fans in the room with all three of our children and they all turned out just fine..no allergies or anything. I guess it's just a personal preference : ) Congrats on the bundle of joy on it's way!

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

And Congratulations fans safe