Is Riley a Girl or Boy Name to You?

When I was pregnant with my son back in 2005 Riley was, to me and my husband, a boy name. Our name was supposed to be Cooper Riley. We ended up going with a different name but thought if we ever had another boy we would use the name Riley. Well, now 5 years later it seems Riley has turned into more of a girl name. I have two friends with girls that names are Riley and my husband is now totally against using Riley for a boy.

What do you think? Girl or Boy name?

My friend named her daughter Riley (she is now 5) and at the time had the same question. I remember her husband saying he liked it because it sounded more feminine than masculine.

IMO I think it can work for both.

Growing up, I only knew boys named Riley and I knew plenty of those. I have heard Riley for girls lately, but I think it's one of those names that is gender neutral now. Like Chris, or Pat or Robin.

It is sad that so many good boy names become abused by girls. Riley used to be a very unique "Boy" name. In the last 10 years so many more girls have been named Riley (spelled various ways) that it does seem like a girl name now. I agree that it has become a Neutral name for either but I now relate it more to a girl name. As unfortunate as it is.

Riley was a boy's name used in literature and media for over 130 years. The expression, "Living the life of Riley" (which means having the ideal life -- everything comes easy) became popular in the 1880s based upon a poem. Then in the 1940s-1950s there was a radio comedy show about a man called "The Life of Riley," which morphed into a television show eventually.

I still get surprised when I hear a girl named Riley, although it has become very popular. Over history, there are FAR more boys names that transition into girl names than vice-versa. I had the same problem with the name Jordan. REALLY wanted to use it for my son, but too many girls are using it now. Oh well!

it's both, but i have a good friend who had the same issue. Had her daughter (NOW 4) had been a boy she would have been Riley, when it turned out they were having a girl, they just figured they'd use it next time. Well their little boy isn't even a year old yet, and they both thought Riley was to girly right now.

IMO I think it can work for both.

Riley, Cameron, Shelby, Jordan all nongender names.
This is why we used Charles, Philip, Sarah and Jessica. And I don't call her Jessie or Jess.

To me Riley is a boy's name (so is Ryan, Tyler, Cameron, and Jordan by the way). Leslie, Taylor, and Shelby are girl names. But I too have seen where some names have become almost gener neutral (although to me they are not). The truly gender neutral names I can think of would be Jamie or Jess.

Either way, it can work. You may want to consider a more "traditional" middle name depending on your last name! I have one friend who named her daughter Riley Elizabeth and another Riley Jessica. It created a little bit of balance for the gender-neutral name! I have another friends whose son is Reilly (family spelling) John.

1 / 3