Is Preschool Mandatory Before Kindergarten?

My son will be 4 years old next month and I'm wondering if preschool is even a requirement now before kindergarten. If so, can anyone recommend one in the Detroit-eastside or Harper Woods area? Are all preschools tuition based or are there some free ones out there?

No, it isn't. You may even opt to homeschool for as long as you desire. This would satisfy any requirements if they existed.

technically kindergarten isnt even mandatory :)
so no preschool is not mandatory, but if you need a low or no cost preschool google a headstart near you.

M. :)

NO.... In michigan.. children are required to be in school from age 6 to 16. So no kindergarden is not required.

You can choose to send your child or not..

Most preschools are tuition based.

Head start is free but you must be low income.

Several districts in Macomb county have free preschool for 4 year olds. They call it "world of fours" or something similar. They take kids that have some disadvantage. It is not solely income based.. For example if the child comes from a single parent family or a parent did not graduate from high school. Call up your local sschool distict to see what they have to offer.

or call another nearby school district to see if they have a good program for your needs..

I have found that the cost of preschool varies widely. I do know that Warrren Consolidated and Centerline have inexpensive preshoolds.

Preschool is not mandatory but I highly recommend it. Normally children who go to preschool adapt to kindergarten quicker and easier. My son walked into his first day of kindergarten like he was a pro. He was not scared or shy, etc. I know it's because he had gone to preschool. However, I do not know of any to recommend. This was many years ago for my son.

1 / 3