Is Organic Soy Milk Ok??????

Hello to all the mom's out there! I had a question and was hoping that some of you could answer it. I have a 2 and 1/2 year old son and he is allgeric to milk. We have him on soy milk and he does wonderful on that but I read a couple of responses the other day that soy milk cotains estrogen so my question is does organic soy milk contain estrogen too. I know this may seem like a silly question but I really want to know. My son drinks the silk organic soy milk. He has been on it since he was about 13 months old cause that is when we found out that he was allergic to milk. I know that soy is in just about everything we eat but would like to cut some of it out if it is bad for him. Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

I would like to take the time to thank everyone for their imputs and advice about soy milk. Some Mom's thought it was bad and some thought it was good. I don't know why they would use soy in so many of our foods if it is bad for us but then again there are other things out there that aren't so good for us too! I did some reasearch and some websites said that soy is good and some said that it was bad. My son's doctor did say that soy was ok but some mom's said that their children's doctor's said to stay away from it. I wish I had a 100% poof that it is not ok for you or a 100% proof that it is ok. It makes it really hard when I get 50-50 from everything. What I will do is, try my son on lactoose free milk again and see if the can handle it because it has been over a year, if he can't then I might try goat's milk. I do know that goat's milk is kind of pricey and we don't have a lot of money, Especially right now with my husband getting out of the air force. Thanks again to everyone that gave me their advice! Take care and God Bless you all!

D.,
As many other moms have said, rice milk is a great, safe, and healthy alternative. My son also had a milk allergy, which we discovered shortly after I discontinued breastfeeding. We started him on rice milk, and now at 3 1/2, he is still drinking it. He has outgrown the milk allergy, but he is allergic to soy. Often, if a child is allergic to milk, there is a good possibility that he/she may be allergic to soy, so the safest bet is to stick with the rice milk. We started on Rice Dream, but my son prefers Trader Joe's brand, and it's even a little less expensive. Good luck!

If you have any concerns try Rice Miik. My daughter same had dairy/soy allergy and has since grown out of it, but I worried the same about soy. Doctor recommended the rice milk since she had the soy allergy anyway and I buy the Rice Dream brand. It comes in organic and enriched with calcium and vitamins. You can get it at any grocery store. She is happy healthy and very tall for her age so growing fine with it.

If at all possible do not give a young boy any soy, organic or otherwise. (Soy formula being the worst possible thing) It has something to do with the phytoestrogens in the soy. Google young boys and soy and you will find all sorts of information. In fact, it's not even great for young girls. I'm breastfeeding and I do not eat any soy for that reason. Try rice milk, almond milk, hemp milk or even goats milk.

The estrogen is naturally occurring--not added or anything to do with being organic. It is okay for everyone--unless you're trying to get pregnant and you are too low in progesterone.(and certainly don't need any more estrogen).

You're fine.

My son LOVES almond and rice milk. I would stay away from too much soy because there has been a lot of research done and more to come showing that it could have side effects down the line. Also try the vanilla rice and almond milk. Surprisingly it has the same basic amount of sugar as the regular milks and it's really delicious, even on healthy types of cereal.-www.weelicious.com

D.,

I would also ask your pediatrician what would be best, because generally children need the fat in whole milk for brain development,so you'd need another source for that.

Hi D.,
I can't speak to the estrogen in soy milk. The information I've seen seem conflicting.
I just wanted you to be aware that all soy milk is not equal. Read the label to make sure it contains enough calcium. My son is allergic to the protein in milk and drinks soy milk from Trader Joes, as that is his favorite brand and has as much calcium as in regular milk. He's 15 now and is healthy. If you decide not to give him soy milk, I would be interested to know what you chose as an alternative.
The best to you and your son,
Linda

Yes, it does. Have you tried Rice Milk? Enriched Vanilla Rice Dream is delicious!

D.,

All soy has the plant estrogens in it. My son is allergic to both dairy and soy so he drinks Similac Alimentum even though he's almost 2. I know kids can survive without a "milk source" but it sure is a convenient way to make sure he's getting enough calcium, protein and fat in his diet.

There are a lot of questions but not many answers as to how healthy soy is for you in the forms we eat it. Cultures that have eaten soy for generations tend to eat it fermented (as in tofu), not drink it as a milk and eat it in flours added to their foods.

:-)T.

I've read up on this after reading what other moms wrote as well. It turns out that Soy in it's natural form is rather toxic, but there are certain methods that can remove the toxins. Eastern cultures use a special fermentation method to do this. The problem is, supposedly the big soy companies are not monitored or given any type of guidelines as to whether they are using any methods to remove the toxins or not. Once I read that, I (who was a big soy drinker) started drinking rice milk instead and trying to avoid soy as much as possible (good luck avoiding it altogether - it's in everything these days, especially soy lecithin).

Here are just a few links for you:
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/
http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/basics/soy.htm
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/soy.htm

Oh, and just found one more link that is really helpful as to what is safe and what you should avoid:
http://www.soyinfo.com/

1 / 3