Is Numbness on Belly After C-section Normal?

I had a c-section at the end of October, and I have noticed the last few weeks that the skin on my belly is numb from about an inch below my belly button to my c-section scar. I am on the plus side and I was just wondering if this was normal and/or if I should be concerned. Oh, I also had an umbilical hernia repaired 6 years ago, so the part that is numb is between the two incisions. I'm not too concerned about it except that if I got hurt there I won't even know it and I tend to be a bit clumsy. Thanks for your help.

I am numb too. I didn't have numbness after my first c-section but did after the second- I did have a post-op infection which required packing for a couple of months. I generally don't notice it unless I or my husband is pinching the area. My doctor didn't think much of it. By the way, my daughter is just about 4 now- it seems like the numbness is here to stay. Good luck.

I have had 3 c sections and 4 kids. Yes, I have twins. :) My scar sight was numb and sore for the first year after I had the baby or babies. It was more numb and sore after my first one. Then, it tends to be less numb as time goes on. My twins are one and there is no numbness. It just takes time. Hang in there.

I had a c-section Oct 2006 and I am still both a bit numb and a bit tender there at the same time. Seems like a contradiction, but it's true. I've heard that for some people, it is normal to continue to have numbness.

I am an old retired ER nurse and always advise anyone who has any health concerns, to contact their doctor. I might also advise you that my last c-section (I had three) was 36 years ago and I still have numb areas at the surgical site.

I had a c-section last summer and had the same numbness for months. It was on the scar and about an inch all around it. It was a very strange feeling and I started wondering if it was ever going to return back to normal! It did finally go away after about six months. Give it a little more time or if you are worried, talk to the doc.

I hope so because I have the same issue. It is a very odd feeling!

I've had two C-sections, and both times I had numbness. The first time it lasted more than 6 months, and even now, five years after the second, I can still touch places that have little feeling response.

So many nerves are severed in a C-section that it's amazing to me that I got back as much feeling as I did... but I can't say I notice it much now, even though it is still different than it was before the C-section.

Hope that's comforting...

Hi there,

I had a C-Section in July and the numbness is only now starting to disappear. It takes a long time...but totally normal! :)

I'd say it is normal. With my first c-section, I had that numbness for about a year then it went away. My second c-section was about a year ago and the numbness that time went away with in six months.

1 / 3