Is My Thawed Hamburger Meat Bad?

I had a tube of hamburger frozen and now its been hiding in my fridge for about 2 weeks! I'm not sure if it's still "good" or not and not sure how I can tell! I am not "good" with raw meat anyway as I had the pleasure of being at my families ranch in MT during butchering season when I was a preteen and I think it traumatized me for life!!! So without really having to smell it or touch it, how can I tell? I'm likely to just chuck it to be on the safe side because if I open it and its some kind of disgusting I will likely never cook raw meat again!!!! =)

Thanks Elaine for the details! I figured I would throw it out. Lucky for me, today is trash pick up so I will walk it out there now! Thank you mamas!!!

I usually compare in my mind the cost of the food (a few dollars) with the cost of my family with food poisoning... I would throw it out. No need to sniff it.

This is what the USDA Food Safety Inspection Service recommends (details here: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/ground_beef_and_food_...)
"
How should raw ground beef be stored at home?
Refrigerate or freeze ground beef as soon as possible after purchase. This preserves freshness and slows growth of bacteria. It can be refrigerated or frozen in its original packaging if the meat will be used soon.

If refrigerated, keep at 40 °F or below and use within 1 or 2 days.

For longer freezer storage, wrap in heavy duty plastic wrap, aluminum foil, freezer paper, or plastic bags made for freezing. Ground beef is safe indefinitely if kept frozen, but will lose quality over time. It is best if used within 4 months. Mark your packages with the date they were placed in the freezer so you can keep track of storage times.

[Top of Page]

What is the best way to thaw ground beef?
The best way to safely thaw ground beef is in the refrigerator. Keeping meat cold while it is defrosting is essential to prevent growth of bacteria. Cook or refreeze within 1 or 2 days.

To defrost ground beef more rapidly, you can defrost in the microwave oven or in cold water. If using the microwave, cook the ground beef immediately because some areas may begin to cook during the defrosting. To defrost in cold water, put the meat in a watertight plastic bag and submerge. Change the water every 30 minutes. Cook immediately. Do not refreeze raw ground meat thawed in cold water or in the microwave oven unless you cook it first.

Never leave ground beef or any perishable food out at room temperature for more than 2 hours (1 hour at 90 °F and above). "

It's been thawed for 2 weeks? Toss it!
I won't use hamburger if it's been thawed for 2 days.

Never mess with questionable meat....too risky.

Has it been thawed for two weeks? It could still be good. They put stuff in there and seal it so it transports better.

What I do with tubes o meat is put down how many days till expiration on the outside of the tube with a sharpy before I freeze it. Then I know how many days it has after being removed from stasis. :p

Ewww. Now you have a story for Denise's post about gross food! : )

2 weeks I think I would just throw it out. Normally my hambuger only lasts a week or so thawed out.

I would probably toss it. If you sniff the package, you should be able to tell if it is bad....you will know. To be safe, I would toss it. Sorry! That stinks both literally and figuratively!

1 / 3