Is My Son Bow-legged?

My son started walking on his 1st birthday April 18th. So we have been walking a few months now. Now I know all babies start out bow-legged but is it normal for him to still be walking this way at 14 months old?It doesn't look terribly severe if he is, however his little legs do not appear to be really straightening out to much. He also falls down A LOT, could these be related? His doctor gave him wonderful 1 year check-up reviews, but do I need to go back in and talk to his peds about this? Thanx!

It sounds to me like he's doing the "diaper walk" and may not be truly bowlegged. (Really....try walking around with a diaper on and see how well you can walk, lol) Bring up the concern with his doctor, but more than likely, he will grow out of it once he starts wearing regular underwear.

Hey E.!
I wouldn't worry just yet. My son is 2 1/2 years old and hislegs are just now straight. He looked so funny but cute when they were bowed though. Anyway I took him to an ortho doc and he followed him for a year. When you really pay attention you could see his legs getting better. His degree of curvature kept getting less and less until finally the Dr released him. He said that most kids grow out of it with no problems. He was falling alot too. I took him to the dr b/c his right foot was turning in and that was causing him to fall. But as his legs straightened out so did his foot. No problems now!! Good luck!!

There is a wonderful program called First Steps that will come out and evaluate your child. You do not need a doctor referral for it! It sounds pretty normal (appearing bow-legged), as kids legs do straighten as they grow older, but if you are concerned, call First Steps and they will evaluate your child FOR FREE! It will give you piece of mind.

my little girl is almost 14 months and walking and still bow legged. at her last check up the doc said everything was perfect. it takes quite a while for the musccles in their legs to strengthen and for the bones to straighten out. as long as he is getting a good amount of calcium and other vitamins and minerals from his diet it should be ok. if the bowing is not severe, i wouldn't worry about too much, it'll straighten out in time. if it looks more bowed then you think it should, ask you ped to check out your sons legs at his next check up.

My son is 2 and his legs just recently, in the past few months, straigtened up. He was VERY bowlegged too! Don't worry about it!

Hey E.! I would guess your son is perfectly fine, but I would ask you pediatrician about it if it would put your mind at ease. When we took our daughter to her 9 month appointment, our ped said she had loose hips so she might walk a little later b/c she won't feel as steady on her legs. That might be what's going on w/ your son as well. Maybe he doesn't feel fully confident on his "new" legs yet! HTH

This may sound simple and silly, but if you haven't, take his diaper off and let him walk. Surprisingly, the diaper really adds a lot of bulk that interferes with walking. I'm not saying he's not bowlegged. I don't know. But, try it and see if he walks better. If he does walk better, you'll know there's nothing to worry about.

My little girl started walking from 10 months old, and she is 15 months old now. She still walks with bow-legged. Her docter said it's normal at her 15th month check-up. I guess you don't have to worry too much.

1 / 3