Is My Daughter Too Small for Her Age?

I don't take my daughter to regular doctor's visits as she is always healthy, so I haven't been keeping track with her growth per the standard growth chart. However I am noticing she is smaller than average for her age and I am a little worried...She is 34 months and her weight is about 26-27 pounds for the past 6 months. She fits size 2T. I am kind of petit myself, however I do not want to ignore something that I shouldn't, but before going to the Ped and ask him I thought I should ask some other moms... What do you think? Anyone had a similar experience?

My daughter is the same age and still wears 2T clothes. She is perfectly healthy, just on the petite side like myself.

if you are petite and she eats like you think she should,dont worry about it.My son was wearing 2T last summer(same size as his 1 1/2 year old sister) and he was almost 4 years old. Since then he shot up like crazy and is now in size 5 top and 3T bottoms!(i am really petite but since hubby is overweight the dr.s just assumed my kids should be too)

You put it out there to the world, so I just have to say, healthy or not, children need well-baby and well-child exams by a pediatrician. They may notice something that you don't. I'd get into that practice...

-M

I think you need to take her to the pediatrician. It could be that she's petite, but you need to get her a general check up.

Although your child may not get sick, it is still important to get in for wellness exams. Not only should children be evaluated for health matters but also for development issues. The first few years are the most crucial. Often times we can assume one thing, but if a potential problem is overlooked, the sooner it is taken care of the better.

i dont agree with not taking your daughter for her regular drs visits but im not going to preach to you about it its your choice how i see it though is that if you took her to her dr then you would be able to monitor her growth. my daughter is 2 and is 25lbs she was 23-24lbs at 15 months. she wears 24m/2t clothes only because 18 month pants are waaayy to short for her. i have a friend whos 20 month old is only 19lbs and wears 12-18m clothes. only difference is she has major food allergies. if your really worried shes not growing right take her for a well check.

My daughter hasn't hit the charts in years! She is 6 and only weighs 36 lbs. And her doctor isn't concerned because she has always followed the growth curve and developed in other areas on target. I do believe you should take your daughter to the doctor just to make sure that she is developing right....a sudden drop off the charts is reason for concern...there can be other things going on that on the outside she looks "healthy" Good Luck to you.

My neice just turned 3 on March 5th. She weighs 24 pounds and is 35 inches tall. She's been off the charts petite since she was 18 months old. She still wears 2T clothing. She's healthy and has gone to all normally scheduled Pediatrician visits.

Just have her checked out by the doc to make sure there's nothing else out of the ordinary going on with your little one.

Right around 3 years old the organs start to move inside the ribcage where they belong (hence the little toddle belly/waddle starts to go away). As the children grow taller at this stage there's actually ROOM for those organs.

A result of which is that we all suddenly get a LOT of use out of the clothes they were in... because they will typically stay in the same "size" for around 6 months longer then usual. If you're potty training and have gotten rid of the diaper, it makes the whole transformation even more dramatic.

My son was in a 4T at 2 years...and continued to wear it until he was 3 1/2. He gained maybe a pound or two during that period....but BOY did his body change. At 3.5 though, he started eating double what I eat, would even wake up in the middle of the night to eat...chubbed out like crazy...and then shot up 5 inches in 6 months. And that's our families growth pattern...it doesn't follow the charts. Babies (ahem toddlers/children) in our family tend to chub up for about 3 months and then shoot up for 3 months, chub up, shoot up.

Our ped only has us come in for immunizations and illness (and parental paranoia...frequently well founded, but not always). So there have been times where we haven't seen the ped for over a year. If you're curious or concerned...make an appt and go in. And EITHER is a valid reason.

I have a 37m old that is 28lbs. And she just chunked up on my as well. and my 1 yr old is like 17lbs. They are tiny. My 3yo was 22lbs at 2 years, only gaining 4lbs from 1 to 2. but then she just shot up 6lbs this year. woohoo. They are just small. I am petite and my husband is small. but even my sisters with a tall father our all under 5ft and like 100lbs. As long as there is no sig drop the drs usually don't freak out. I mean some babies have to be in the 3rd percentile.

1 / 3