Is My Baby Eating Enough?

Hi Moms, Help! My baby was born and weighed in at 7lbs. 9oz. He has never been a very good eater. I started breastfeeding him and he really struggled at first. I supplemented him with bottles up until he was four months old. Every night I would feed him a 4 oz bottle and did this since the day he was born. ( I breastfed him during the day) At four months he refused the bottle and only wanted to nurse. He still nurses but never for more than 5-10 minutes about 6 times a day. He keeps me up at night and I have wondered if he was really hungry but he won't take much more than I give him and since he won't take bottles anymore I just have no way to know if he is getting enough. He is small for his age too weighing only 14 lbs. He is 6 and 1/2 months old. I look online and other moms are saying that their babies are drinking 3-4 eight oz. bottles a day! Plus solids. My baby is barely eating some solids. I am just so tired of worrying can anyone help me with suggestions?

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement!! I think I am just fretting too much and it looks like he is doing fine. He might have aome sensitivty to food so I am just going to take things slowing with solids and let him lead out. It really helped to reassure me that all was ok. Thanks all you great moms out there. R.

My baby also only ever ate 5-10 minutes at a time, about 6 times a day. He has always been low weight, but he seems to be growing just fine. The only thing is that he has had a lot of colds in his short life (he's 15 months now, and 22 pounds--16th percentile), and I don't know if that might be related to the fact that he never ate a lot.

Hi R.--
A couple of things. First, breast fed babies do not gain weight as quickly as bottle fed babies because they are able to self-regulate. Second, it only takes between five and ten minutes to empty the breast completely, so he doesn't need to nurse longer than that. My youngest son only nursed for five minutes at a time from the word go, while my older son would sometimes suck for 20 minutes. And I only fed on one side at a time because neither would take more than that. Next, both of my son's were late eaters by pediatrician standards. My midwife who is also a naturopath said that you know a baby is ready for solids when they get teeth because that signals their body to change the enzymes in the saliva. My youngest didn't eat solids until he was a year.

As for breast milk production--are you drinking enough water? About 1 ounce for every pound you weigh a day? Are you eating enough protein? Have you tried some natural breast milk enhancers? Fenugreek, mother's milk tea, blessed thistle, alfalfa.

Finally, I have to ask if your little one is having some odd symptoms. Does he have rashes or eczema? Does he have dark circles or puffy eyes? Does he have redness around his rectum on a regular basis? Does he arch his back away from you after eating? At night is he just suckling or is he eating? I ask these questions because both my sons have food allergies and that effected the way they eat and their comfort with eating. So if your son does have some of these symptoms I have lots more to share with you about how to help. If he doesn't have these symptoms then try to the breast milk enhancers above. Oh, and one more thing. Some babies just don't sleep through the night no matter what you do.
Good luck---happy to help more if anything I said here resonates with you.

Hi, R.!
Just wanted to add some thoughts I hope will encourage you.
There are a few ways to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough. How are his appearance and general attitude? Does he have nice color ro his skin, without looking sunken in around the eyes, or glassy-eyed? Is he generally cheery, spending lots of time looking around at his surroundings? If yes, sounds like he's getting enough calories to allow him to learn and grow and not at all dehydrated. Noting diaper "output" can be hugely reassuring, too. If he has 5 to 6 really wet disposable diapers a day, and at least one bowel movement every couple of days that is yellow in color, you're doing great and so is he.
If his poop is greenish or frothy and he seems extra fussy, consider nursing him on the same side for longer so he can get more hindmilk. (Sometimes babies who nurse only briefly get more foremilk than hindmilk and do not seem as satisfied, or have greenish stools.) Since human milk changes consistancy during each feeding, from the high-water, high-protein foremilk that comes out first to the creamy, high-fat hindmilk that helps babies put on weight, it is important to let him nurse for awhile on one breast to allow that consistance change to occur. This will also trigger your body to increase your milk production to meet his needs.
It's OK that he's not interested in solid food. The latest recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics say babies should not start eating any solid foods until they are at least six months old, because of the risk of developing allergies if you start sooner. Other signs of babies' readiness include losing the tongue thrust reflex that makes them spit everything out, being able to pick up small bites of food with their pointer finger and thumb in a pincer grasp, and, of course, being able to sit up unassisted. There are few solid foods that even come close to being as calorie-dense and nutrient-dense as your milk; if you are concerned about his weight, more frequent nursing would be more effective than offering baby puffs or peas or something similarly low-fat.
It's also good to remember that he could be hitting a growth spurt and/or teething, which would make him eager to nurse quite a bit at night. The more he is at the breast, the more your body will adjust to meet his needs perfectly.
Please don't compare your breastfed baby to other mothers' artificially-fed babies. It's just not an accurate comparison and you'll make yourself crazy with self-doubt when it sounds like you are a wise and intuitive mother. You can feel good that you are providing your son with the superior infant food!
I highly recommend you contact your local La Leche League group and attend a meeting. All their services are free, including phone help from accredited Leaders, and the moms at meetings are super nice and experienced with the ups and downs of nursing relationships. You can find your local group at www.llli.org. The Utah County area Leaders I have met have all been terrific and well worth the effort to chat with.
Best wishes to you!

Hi R.!
I think only you and your peditrician can determine if your baby is of a healthy weight. Being a nursing mom, you can't compare yourself to bottle feeding moms, because you really don't know how much breastmilk your little one is getting. You may have a high flow of milk...
About the comment of nursing often at night - with both of my kids, it seems like they wanted to nurse more at night when I did not nurse much during the day (like errand days...). It's like they would try to catch up.

Does he nurse for longer periods of time at night? Maybe you need to try a different position during the day (again if your milk flow is too fast for him).

You can always call a La Leche League leader - they are trained in this and can help a lot! Google them to find a local chapter.

Good luck and don't fret - keep up the good work!

Is he gaining weight? Even if he's small, is his curve going up? Plus if he has started to crawl or move around a lot more, his weight gain will slow way down.
My daughter was stuck at six feedings a day for a while, up until around seven months. Then she went down to five. Now at eight months she eats about four to five times a day. She eats solids but some days she is way into them and other days she doesn't want them.
Don't worry too much about solids. At this stage his main source of nutrition is milk. Solids are still mostly for learning at six months old.
If you are still worried here are some things to consider:

1. How much is he spitting up? If it's a lot, he could have acid reflux and If he has severe acid reflux then that could be contributing to his slow weight gain. Also if he has acid reflux then it can hurt to nurse sometimes and thus not making him want to nurse very long. Does he squirm or arch his back or cry while nursing? Just a thought.

2. How many times are you changing poopy diapers? For the first two months, my daughter was pooping all the time (no wonder she was eating all the time). We found out that she had a dairy allergy and I went of all dairy. She started having more normal bowel movements, one to two a day and her eating patterns stabilized. She also lost her fussiness and skin issues.

3. There is a tube you can get that you put in a bottle on one end and then you hold it up right next to your nipple on the other end. When you son nurses he will get you, plus some extra from the bottle. That might be a way to supplement him if you feel you need to.

Good luck. I hope this was at all helpful.

Please don't worry! Your baby sounds perfectly normal. The general rule is that babies double their birth weight by 6 months, so 14 lbs. pretty much right on target - just slightly below average - and remember, nearly half of all babies are below average! This rule was probably "created" back when most babies were formula fed, anyway, and we know that formula fed babies tend to be a bit overweight. Do not compare your babies intake to that of bottle fed infants. Your milk is nutritionally more efficient, and the fact that he only nurses for 5-10 minutes tells me that you have a good supply - otherwise he would keep on nursing until he was full. Many parents I know are not introducing solids to their breastfed infants until well over 6 months up to a year and their babies do fine; and although I think it's a good idea to start solids around 6 months, the introduction should be very gradual, with breastmilk being the primary source of nutrition until a year at least. You might want to try to nurse him more often. But as long as you are feeding him when he is hungry, you have nothing to worry about.

From my personal experiences w/not producing enough milk, it sounds like that could be your problem. Pump for a set period of time & see how much you get. I'm sure there's someplace you can check online to see about what you should be able to pump in a period of time. If yours is way less & little buddy won't take a bottle, there are feeding systems you can buy (no idea of the cost) that are basically a tube you put next to your nipple so he can nurse but is getting formula/breast milk from the bottle that hangs on a string from your neck. It's mommy-warmed & he's still got the comfort of nursing, but he's also getting more nutrition & sustinence that way.
This goes against everything you think but try putting some baby food on his high chair tray for him to explore. Glob a tablespoon or two on there & let him fingerpaint, mash up, squeeze in his fingers, run through his hair.. (obviously you don't do this when you're due for family pictures in 30 mins lol) Eventually some will get in his mouth & he'll discover it's not so bad after all. Try sweet potatoes-my boys loved them!

Babies all eat differently - amounts and times. What does your pediatrician say about his growth and development? He may just be an efficient eater! You didn't say how old he was. The size isn't as important is his growth curve - which is what the dr. looks at. My daughter was a good eater, and I kept her on breastmilk only until over 8 mos... she was a big baby and breastmilk was more than enough for her. So there is no magic time to begin solids or cereal either. If he's over 6 mos, you can try some rice cereal mixed w/ breastmilk with a spoon at night. He might like it and it might keep him sleeping a bit longer. I'd check w/the dr. too. Good luck -too bad they can't just talk and tell us right?

I've had friends give infant liquid vitamin who were concerned with their babies growth and nourishment. I'm an Herbalife distributor and we have one that's called Kindermins. I know it 's safe for infants and it doesn't have dyes or artificial flavorings. It's all natural. I know the nutrients from this helps with babies especially when they are going through a transition with how they are eating and what they are eating. Here's my website www.shopherbalife.com and phone 800-850-0609.

1 / 3