Is Lead Test a Routine Test for 1 Year Old in the United States?

Is lead test a routine test for 1 year old in the united states?

IN NY it is, most peds do it at 1 year, but i think mine did it at 9 months and 18 months.

Dont see why anyone wouldnt want it done, it a simple test!

YES! There are a lot of children growing up in old homes, appartments, etc that lead paint was a standard for so they always test (at my pediatricians) for lead!

YES!! There are so many residences that still have lead based paint that can cause damage or death to small children.

My youngest son was so hyper at the age of 4. I just thought he was my one "problem" child out of the three at that time. I didn't think his behavior was due to being poisoned by lead.

My son received a lead test in 1996. The levels the Doctor's worry about is between 10-15..my son's level was 67.9!!! We had to leave the house immediately and not return until the EPA got the test results back and clean -up was done. My son underwent 6 months of treatment and had psychological damage. He was on medication until last June. (He's 17 now)

The house was covered with lead based paint and so was the soil. The landlord scraped the porch and brushed the paint chips into the yard. My son played with his trucks and helped me in the flowerbeds. Needless to say, the tests from the EPA came back and we were not allowed to remain living there.

He could've died if that test would not have been done. I sued the landlord and the government agency that approved the house...and won.

I'm in NY, and my kids were 3 when they had it done, when they were starting preschool. The schools required it. It may be common to do it younger now, I don't know - my kids are turning 15 and 11 so things may have changed in terms of what is typical

Lead testing is required in many states. This is due to the exposure children might have to lead in paint from older houses and now with many children's toys. It is a simple finger prick blood test which they would be checking anyway.

Lead is such a dangerous thing that causes irreversible damage and needs to be caught early.

To my knowledge, neither of my children have ever been tested for it. I don't think they would test for it unless they suspected it was an issue. I've not heard of it being a routine test for children.

Yes and NY wants it at age 2 as well. With all the lead on toys now, I almost feel better about it because it used to drive me nuts but now I almost want to get my older kids tested to to be sure.

my ped recommended it but it wasnt required.

I've never heard of anyone getting a lead test unless they've requested one from their pediatrician. But thats just me...

1 / 3