Is Itlegal to Ride a Scooter with a Preschooler?

is it legal to ride a scooter with a preschooler?on due to his delayed speech. This school, is 40 minutes away from our apartment.(with bus). If he is qualified, he will go to that school 4 times a week and a bus will pick him up.
I am not sure about the safety of the bus, though. I feel my son is still too small to ride a bus by himself. Especially because he is new in US and understand mostly our own language. It is not funny if the driver told him to step back, he doesn't understand and step in instead and something happens. My mom told me that there were an accident where a 5 year old was hit by the bus because he was too small and other kids elbowed him. My mom saw his head crushed.
This is what I have in mind: is it okay if I ride with him in the school bus? I can also watch other kids as well.
Or: since we can't buy a car, public bus is too long, I want to buy a hybrid scooter. In Indonesia,,people take their kids with motorcycle. Is it legal if I ride with him? Does riding scooter need a license, too? Where can I get it?
hanks for answering.
PS: we ride scooters for 6 years in Indonesia. We are not amateurs. And my son rides with us on scooters since he was 3 mos old. I just don't know how it goes in US.

..

I work as a physical therapist in a school district. Preschool is only at certain campuses within the district so he needs to go to the school they can provide the best services for him. The bus he will ride will have an aide to help them get on and off the bus. They will NOT let him off without you being right there to pick him up and they will not release him to anyone but one of his parents unless you make other arrangements before hand. You will not be allowed to ride the bus. He will be on the bus with only other preschoolers his age (3-5). I would let him ride the bus. If he is really small or has low tone, they provide car seats for the children. He will be supervised the entire time.

Riding the school bus is actually very safe. It is also fairly common for 3 year olds to ride the bus, as that is the age that children might qualify for PreK and other programs. Some school districts even have a bus just for that age group. Even if they don't, most bus drivers will be very protective of the little ones.

My son is in kindergarten, and the bus stops in front of our house. I walk him to the bus. After school he is dropped off in front of our house, and I am there to greet him.

I understand that what your mother saw would terrify her. I know I would be horrified. I do believe it was a freak accident and is incredibly unlikely to happen.

Honestly, I think the school bus is by far the safer choice.

The bus is still going to be safer than the scooter. And if you could ride on the bus with him, how would you get back home? Talk with someone at the school about your concerns, and in meanwhile, work on teaching him more English. Maybe an older kid at the school who is also riding the bus can look out after him.

Bus accidents with kids do happen, but fortunately not often - tragic stories always hit the news, but millions of school kids ride the bus without incident every day. But the laws here in the U.S. are different and I doubt they are going to allow for you to ride a scooter with your son. I don't know how traffic compares in Indonesia, but here there may be more cars and they are moving at a greater rate of speed, so it may not be as safe as you think.

You really need to contact your local DMV (department of motor vehicles) office. Laws will vary depending on the type of scooter you are riding. Here is the website: http://www.azdot.gov/index.asp

I would let him ride the bus, if you ride along you will be stranded at the school all day until the bring him home....you might ask if you can ride along the first few days to see what it is like. But I would think it would be a special bus and not a regular school bus with various levels of kids riding. Surely they would go to the local schools.

My first thought is your worried about his safety on a school bus. But you would put him on a scooter that you've just learned to drive? I'd stick with the bus and talk over your concerns with the school. You can take him to the bus and make sure he gets on OK. And be waiting afterwords.

When we lived in Gilbert, the school sent special buses for the preschool kids. These buses had an aide who helped the kids on and off the bus and sat with them. Also, they did not let the kids get on or off without the parent there as well. Preschool started and ended at a different time than the rest of the school, so they never rode with older kids, and only a few kids their age rode with them. The driver and aide would get to know your son personally so they would know that he doesn't understand much English. I'm sure it would help you feel better if you rode with him once or twice so you could see how it works and the rules they have.

Yes, it is illegal -- that is, by law a child must be in a child seat. The only way a child can be in a child seat is in a car. The only exception is a very large vehicle such as a school bus or public bus.

Children die from motor vehicle accidents every day. I absolutely, defnitely, for sure would NOT advise allowing your child to ride on a scooter at any time.

You may have Child Protective Services take your kid away if you do. I have seen that happen once.

1 / 3