Is It Unsafe to Use a Baby Crib Bumper past a Certain Age?

Hello! I'm putting together a crib for my six month old and noticed a tag on the bumper that says to remove it when baby can pull herself to standing and sit unaided. I've never heard of anyone being concerned about this before, and it seems a bit over the top as far as safety concerns go. Is this something that I should definitely abide by or is it a company disclaimer that, as long as I'm conscious of my child's safety, I can ignore as the company covering it's legal bases? I appreciate your input!! Thank you!

I used the bumbers till my son was 2 and out of the crib. If I took them off he bumped his head into the rails or get his legs caught between them. When he started standing up I loosened them so he couldn't use them as a step stool to climb out. They squished down when he stood on them.

The reason that this is on the tag is because some babies will use the crib bumpers as a cushion to stand on when they learn to get out of their cribs. If the baby falls while trying to get out, it can harm the child and cause a law suit. It's their way of protecting themselves from parental ignorance.

I didn't use the bumper until my girl was around 6 months old (I was worried more about suffocation since she loves to sleep smushed up against the soft). Then, she started sleeping all "crazy" and she'd wake up crying because her arm or leg was stuck out of the crib! I tied it on loosely and haven't had a problem with my now 18-month-old trying to climb out. When she steps on it, it just flattens out. It is good at keeping limbs and pacifiers inside the bed!

One reason child safety organizations recommend against crib bumpers is that they pose a risk of suffocation. Just like a pillow or thick blanket, crib bumper pads can restrict a baby's breathing if the bumper is up next to the baby's nose or mouth. Suffocation risk is greatest when babies are very young and unable to move themselves away from potential hazards.

A secondary risk with crib bumpers is strangulation. Babies can become entangled in the crib bumper or its ties, or can get between the bumper and the crib. A few crib bumpers have been recalled because of stitching or trim that can come loose. Those loose pieces also could cause injury.

Rebreathing of stale air is another concern with crib bumper pads. The bumper reduces the flow of fresh air around baby during sleep, particularly if his or her face is very close to the bumper. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that some infants, when they are overheated or lack sufficient oxygen during sleep, are unable to arouse themselves enough to prevent death. Re-breathing of stale air may be a contributing factor to SIDS.

In the official AAP policy statement on SIDS suggests that some babies are more prone to SIDS due to biological factors such as brainstem development or serotonin levels. However, the policy statement indicates that "more than one scenario of preexisting conditions and initiating events may lead to SIDS." It goes on to say that we cannot focus on only one potential cause for SIDS, because there isn't likely to be just one cause. We cannot know ahead of time whether a baby is predisposed to SIDS due to biological reasons. What we can do, and what AAP suggests, is to reduce all of the other environmental risk factors, including the use of crib bumpers.
Solutions
Since many infant safety organizations now recommend that nothing be inside the crib at all, the safest route for parents and babies would be to remove crib bumper pads altogether. For day care centers, the push for increased sleep safety may soon result in states mandating that child care providers no longer use crib bumper pads. For parents who are still concerned about their child sticking arms and legs through the crib slats, and feel that they must use a bumper pad, there are mesh crib bumpers on the market today that allow more air to flow through the crib.

In addition to SIDS, another risk with the bumpers is the ability a child might have to use them as a ladder. Young babies and children have been known to step on the bumper to try to get out of the crib.

I like Wonder Bumpers - you can leave them on. Very much worth looking into :)

http://www.gomamagodesigns.com/products.html?order=price&...

You're not supposed to use regular bumpers ever. They are have been linked to SIDS and other types of injuries, and death. There are only 2 safe alternatives on the market Breathable Bumper and Wonder Bumpers. The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend using any type of bumpers. There should be no blankets, toys, etc in the crib. With all the information regarding the hazard of using a bumper I'm surprised they have not been removed from stores and I'm more greatly surprised that parents still do not have this information.

Just take it out when they can stand up on it, getting closer to climbing out of the crib...

I was told by pediatrician not to use them because of sids. Never heard because of climbing out. They look cute but not worth the chance.

1 / 3