Is It Safe to Paint a Baby Crib

I am due in January and have two cribs from my first two. One will go to my moms and I was wanting to use the other one for our new baby girl. I would like to coordinate her room to match the furnture, so I was wanting to know if it is safe to paint the crib. If so, would anyone also know the proper steps to take in doing so?

Thanks a bunch!

There are new paints out now that are environmentally friendly with low odor. Ask at Home Depot.

If it is already painted, you can just paint over it. If f it is stainthe old color is dark and/or bright, primer first so it won't show through new paint. If is is stained, you can just paint it directly.

Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to breath in paint fumes when I was preggers... But then again, I am allergic to latex... which includes latex paint. Paint fumes in general give me respiratory distress and headaches. But, perhaps I'm more sensitive to it anyway?

You probably need to strip the wood and do a light sanding of all sides/parts of the crib, as new paint will not stick to varnished wood (and you don't want the paint flaking off or posing a risk of being ingested when the baby is grabbing the rails and is more mobile in the crib). (Wear a mask so you don't breathe in the wood & varnish particles! Yuck...)

You can get the repainting steps from: http://www.helium.com/items/346774-tips-for-painting-old-...

(And admittedly, maybe I'm just lazy but we were given a crib... It doesn't match. Its fine. No one from a baby magazine was going to take pictures of her room anyway. I figure we will devote all the time, effort and money to making a cutesy girl room when she gets her real bedroom furniture. Her baby furniture is only gonna be used for 1-3 years anyway... not worth it to me...)

I'm pretty sure there are paints designed "safer" to paint baby furniture with. I'd just go into a Home Depot or something like that and ask =)

There is a paint called milk paint. It is safe to use.

I repainted the crib we were given for my daughter w/ spray latex (no brush strokes!)
Just sand the existing finish so it sticks, there's no need to strip it down all the way.

You need to sand the crib to rough it up. I would use a primer too. Then paint the crib. I wouldnt use a gloss finish due to it peeling. At least in my experience. You could always ask the person at the paint store. They should know. Congrats on the new baby. Oh btw I would get some one else to do the painting and work on the crib and stay clear of the fumes and dust that comes with sanding.

Yes, just buy the proper paint. Make sure and tell the store clerk that it is for a baby crib. I did and they recommended 100% acryllic paint. It's very durable and shouldn't have any harmful lead or anything. Just ask for help.

ooohhh... thanks for asking.
I want to do the same thing. I have a white crib I want to paint navy blue... So let us know how it goes!

1 / 3