Is It Safe?

Does anyone know if it's safe to use Lysol on baby toys and other things that end up in the mouth? There aren't any warnings on the can, but I just want to make sure before I use it. After reading about the hand sanitizer scares on Snopes.com, I'm hesitant to use anything anymore.

Chlorox makes a spray, I think it's called "anywhere", this is what we use. Says that it's safe for pacifiers, anything. Don't know how much you can trust that, but it's gotta be safer than a lot of other things like mold and stuff that would grow on toys eventually. I have heard lately though not to overdo it with this kind of thing. It's good for kids to be exposed to germs to so they can build up immunities. I pretty much only use it when one of the kids is sick and to clean tables and stuff where they eat. Hope this helps!

B.,

I would not use Lysol on the babies toys either -- There is a company out there called Melaleuca that makes a non-toxic cleaner called "Tough & Tender" and seems to work pretty well on the toys. The only thing I didn't like is that you have to join and spend a certain amount of money each month or they sent you a bunch of stuff you didn't want.

I am sure that you can find the same sorts of things at Whole Foods too.

B.-
You are supposed to wash Lysol off before kids put stuff in their mouths. That kind of defeats the purpose of using a quick spray!! I like that Clorox Hard Surface Spray. It is with the cleaning supplies and is in a blue spray bottle. It is safe for use on all sorts of stuff and you can even use it around food. Hope that helps.

Hi B.,

I worked in a daycare once, and they used bleach water on everything. One part bleach to 5 parts water. Just washing things with soap and water, and puting things in the dishwasher works too.

if you are looking for a safe way to disinfect toys, etc., you can let them soak in vinegar

I asked my pediatrician the same question when my son was the same age. There are way to many potentially harmful chemicals in those products that may put your little one at risk. Warm soapy water works as well as anything to remove dirt and bacteria.

I would not use Lysol at all. It has chemicals in it that we should not be breathing as well. I would not use that clorox anywhere spray either, just for the fact of who it's made by. Bleach is not safe and can harm your lungs and insides as we are breathing it in the air, far long after it has been used. There are safer alternatives to all this stuff. Just remember the more natural ingredients, the safer it will be.

Lysol seems like it'd be a bit harsh, but I'm not sure. Clorox makes a hard surface sanitizer that is supposed to be a safe as water on toys.
http://www.clorox.com/innovations_anywhere.php

1 / 3