Is It Rude to Not Invite Siblings to a B-day Party?

My son's 4th b-day is coming up and we are gonna have it at his gymnastics center, I am only allowed 14 guests(kids not adults) so as you can imagine I've got to cut down the list of kids. Is it rude for me to put no siblings on some of the invitations of his classmates from preschool? I don't know the families of the handful of kids he is wanting to invite from preschool.

I know if he has been invited to a party, I either ask if my older child can come or I only come with him. I hope other families would do the same.

No, it's not rude if you word it well. I would write something at the bottom of the invitation similar to: Due to safety regulations of Tiny Tot's Gym (or what even the name of location is), only children on official guest list may attend.
This gives the parents the opportunity to ask if there is indeed space for more children, at which point you could simply say "I'm sorry, but this location only allows for 14 visitors, and my son filled the list with those he chose to invite, but if someone cancels I can certainly let you know." This way you clearly place the blame on the location, which is the biggest part of why you can't allow just anyone to come.
Hope this helped, ~J. :O)

I have 2 girls. When my oldest gets invited to parties, I ask if I can bring her sister too BUT, I offer to pay for her if it is at an activity center since I know they charge per child. When I invite kids to my daughter's birthday, I allow for extra b/c I know that some of the kids have siblings. I have never run into an issue. Most of the times when we go to the parties, there are less kids than what were paid for anyhow. I know at Chuck E Cheese they make you pay for a minimum amount anyhow. One year I had to still pay for 6 kids that RSVP and didn't show.

Hope this helped, ~J. :O)

Not rude at all... after all you are paying for it. I would write that siblings are not invited. Or if you don't care, say that they have to pay for themselves if YOU don't care. It is totally up to you! Parent's should understand that the party if for your son's close friends and that there is a limited amount of space. And if you don't want parents to stick around (esp with other children), write drop your children off at ___ pm and pick them up at ____ pm. of some.

I don't think it's rude. However, it's all in the wording and the approach. I suggest an invitation that says "Admit one" with a party schedule and/or brief description of the activities at the party so parents can bring their children prepared, dressed accordingly and also (hopefully) get the idea about limiting guests.

Although you don't know the families of your son's classmates, you can certainly make a phone call or give a brief explanation as you hand out the invitations. I recommend you not say "No siblings," and rather "I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience to only bring (insert invited child's name here) to the party. (Insert your sons' name here) and I would love to have him/her celebrate with us and we hope you can make it."

Lastly, if you are looking for wonderful birthday gifts for your child, check out my website of educational products at www.discoverytoyslink.com/fatimac

Above all, have fun and don't worry if guests decide not to show up. Enjoy the party with your child and the guests who do make it. Take Care!

It's not rude. I know this bit of etiquette has gone by the wayside, but traditionally, only the names that appear on the invitation are invited. We never ask to bring our other children to any birthday party only one of them is invited to. The birthday child may not know our other children. I wouldn't want strangers coming to a party for me. We bring our other children ONLY if the host says, "Hey, bring all the kids." I'm sure it's anal of me, but that's how we do it.

Best wishes.

If you only put the one child's name on the invitation, its rude for someone to bring their other children! Most folks know you pay per child so if someone invited my daughter to a party, and I wanted my son to come too, I would ask them if I could bring them and pay for him myself! You arent the rude one!!

You could put RSVP and your number on invitation and then when they call explain that there's only room for the ones invited.

It's not rude, but a good idea to put on the invitation. In our family we sometimes have more than siblings and bring them all!!! So a fare warning is a good idea.

Are you Ok with having it a "drop off" party?? You can writeon the invitation "Drop off at 2:00, pick up at 4:00, please be on time, as the gymnastics center has other scheduled events on this day" or something. That way you will get the right number of kids.

1 / 3