Is It Possible to Recycle Car Seats Anywhere in the Greater Puget Sound Area?

Does anyone know where a car seat can be recycled instead of just thrown away? We're on the brink of moving up to the bigger seat and I want to recycle the one we're using now. On top of that I have THREE (yes, count them 3) other infant car seats that various friends gave me out of the kindness of their hearts, but I couldn't use any of them because they're all too old. I did a few searches on the internet and didn't come up with anything other than the notion that it depends on the city you live in (whether they recycle car seats or not). I called the Snohomish County Waste Management people and they do not recycle them. The man I spoke with explained that many of the harder plastics aren't recycleable. So I was just wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives or had any bright ideas. I'm not creative or artistic so I don't foresee turning them into something clever like garden art or anything like that in the near future. :-)

As far as I know, if they can't be resold (because they're too old) then they also shouldn't be donated - giving needy moms old, unsafe carseats isn't exactly doing them a favor. Unfortunately I don't know of any recycling options, the dump may be the only resting place - I can't imagine anything that could be uglier than an old carseat in a garden!! :-) A real shame to throw something like that out, though.

I know that Goodwill won't take car seats and I think some of the consignment stores stopped as well. I was told it's to big of a liability to the store to sell a used car seat. When the car seat is sold without instructions, and the seat is being used improperly, and if the person using the seat gets into an accident....We live in a sue happy world.

Rather than recycle, you might try Salvation Army, Deseret Industries, Goodwill or one of the many other thrift stores in the area. Poor people and those artsy people buy them from those locations. I have a friend who has purchased all of their baby things that way at a much reduced price.

What you may end up doing is just tossing them in the trash or list them on craigslist/freecycle. But if you give them away, as you said, make them available as artsy garden things or whatnot and cut the straps. Car seats over 6 or 7 years are no longer usable (think of them as having expiration dates), regardless of how well they were taken care of. The straps can become weak or fray and in an accident, they will not hold a child in place! Plastic also cracks and is unsafe.

I wish ya luck....

If you think these are in condition that is still usable, and you think someone who is in need would appreciate them, you can try posting them on "freecycle.org" It's an online recycling community where you can get rid of unwanted items, and if someone needs what you don't need or want anymore, then you arrange to have them meet you or just come and pick the item up from your home.
You can get information on this group by googling 'freecycle.org'
I've gotten rid of several good condition items that either wouldn't be accepted at a thrift store since they are not clothing, or are so specific that unless someone really needs them they are just taking up space.

A.

I have heard of a couple church groups that take them down to Mexico since their laws aren't as controlling. Not sure who's taking them now though. Maybe call around to the bigger churches that have missions departments??? good luck!

For any of the seats that are 6 years old or newer Eastside Baby Corner will take them www.babycorner.com. You may also check out the Washington State Child Restraint Coalition www.800bucklup.org. If you call them perhaps they will have some ideas of what do do. Good luck!

You could also look up the numbers of some local Crisis Pregnancy organizations who accept donations. . .they may accept them to give to new moms who don't have the money to buy them. I read that someone said Freecycle and that might be a good choice too. You may also look into church organizations and MOPS programs (at churches) and they may know of someone with a need.

HOpe it helps

1 / 3