Is It Possible to Dry up Son's Runny Nose?

My nearly 4 yo son has a cold/flu virus. He is oozing goo. His nose is running and dripping down to his mouth, and because he is breathing through his mouth he is drooling excessively. Is there anything I can do besides constantly wipe his nose and have him blow to dry up his sinuses? I know he's too young for decongestants. Help!

I always avoid giving my kids dairy products when they're runny/stuffy. They seem to add to the phlegm.

We use a Nettie Pot. You put warm water with salt in it, then rinse out the nasal cavity. Then blow his nose. That will keep it clean for a short period. Other than that blow often. Good luck.

My 14 month old just went through the same thing. The doctor said to use the suction bulb but don't over-do it because it actually causes the nose to just keep producing boogers if you do it too much. He suggested the saline drops..not a big hit for my son, but it works. Also we did the same thing that another Mom mentioned, steammy bathroom for baths and then we put some vicks on his chest at bedtime. Hope your little guys feels better soon :)
G. :)

HOw about asking your pediatrician about benadryl?

Try squirting a saline solution up his nose to clear out the mucus.

You could try a saline drop. I found it worked great for my daughter.
Best of luck,

Saline solution will help to get it out. You can also try to get him to let you use a nasal aspirator.. like you used when he was an infant... to get more of it sucked out. At age four, he'll likely resist that, unless you can convince him that it will make him feel better and make his life easier.

he doesnt need a decongestant it is coming out all on its own! this is the bodys way of curing itself why would you stop the body from removing the gunk out of it?

Netti pot. Health stores should have it. Or gooogle it. I found /www.mountainroseherbs.com/bathbody/body.php#bod_neti

You put warm water and sea salt (not regular iodized salt) in it and clears out your nose.
Good Luck.

1 / 3