Is It Possible to Breast Feed and Pump at the Same Time Without Frustration?

My baby is 4 weeks old on the 9th and I need to get him use to a bottle, but I don't want to stop breast feeding him while I still can. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks, but i am getting out the military so I can go back to breast feeding in a month. How do I pump and feed at the same time, or is that even a good idea? I dont want to confused him. I tried to pump inbetween feeding him but he is so unpredictable I don't know what to do. And is it ok to mix milk together, like if I only pumped 1 oz., can I mix it with milk I pumped later in the day or milk from the next day?

What worked with me was to feed the baby on one breast while pumping the other breast. This will make for quicker pumping because the baby knows how to let down the milk quicker.

Dear T.,
Call the La Leche League, it's made up of mom's who breastfeed, and they can guide you on the best things to do, if there's no listing in your area, check on line or call a birthcenter or breastfeeding freindly doctor for advice.

LW

Sure it is alright to do both. The bottle Avent or Advent has nipples that are pretty close to the shape and feel of a breast. I would use those when you are bottle feeding. Also, when you want to bottle feed, let someone else do it cause your baby will recognize you and want your breast. I'm not really sure about mixing breast milk with formula, but you could probably call your doctor and ask him/her. They should know or know someone who you could talk to. Good Luck and congrats on the little addition to your family.

Hi T.,
I totally agree with the great advice everyone is giving you for doing both. I just wanted to add to remember that every baby is different. My daughter absolutely refused a bottle and I had to quit my job. We did everything that everyone said, but nothing worked for her. The only thing that we didn't do was let her go hungry (which a Dr advised..he said that eventually she would give in), I just couldn't do that and watch her hysterical and hungry.
On the other side, my son, my son was perfectly happy going back and forth.. and we did the same thing.
I hope you find it easy and your baby is happy!! I just wanted you to know that you are not alone if it doesn't go as planned. Sometimes life just won't do exactly what you want.
Wishing you the best!!!

T., sure it is! First you have to understand that breastfeeding is 90% mental and 10% physical. If you belive you can pump and nurse, you absoultely can. The best thing is to nurse your baby as much as you have him, and when you're away pump milk as often as he would nurse. As long as you pump on a regular basis your body will continue to make that much milk, if you stop it will recognize that you don't need milk at that time of the day anymore and stop producing it. And your baby is definitely going to know you and want you more than the bottle, so it's usually best to have someone else give the bottle. My daughter is 14 months and she's just weaned herself from nursing, I pumped when I had to be out of the house or if I had to be away from her. You should contact your local health Unit or DHS site, they will have the latest breastmilk info and they will probably have a nursing counseler you can talk to...they are GREAT people to talk to about these issues and they are trained to help you. Good luck!! Liz E.

Sure it is and I am just the person to help you. I am a lactation consultant and can give you some easy, helpful tips. It is much easier to explain over the phone so give me a call at ###-###-####.

I pumped while my daughter was in the NICU and the CICU (Cardiac ICU). I only produced about 1 oz total, so the hospitals mixed my daily pumpings in order to have enough milk to feed Emily. If I didn't have enough breastmilk, they would add formula to the breastmilk. Since you are going back to work, I would pump at the normal times that you would be at work, and breastfeed at the times you would normally be home. That way he can get on a schedule for now, and get used to the bottle. They have bottle nipples out there that help them transition between breast and bottle, so you may want to try that.

Hi my name is J. and i have a 2yr old boy and a 6yr old girl. I breast fed my son until he was 9months old and right now your son is old enough to get use to bottle feedings. The first time you try it he might resist a little but u need to be persistent u can't give up, once he gets really hungry then trust me he will take the bottle. If you wait until he gets older it will be alot more difficult to get him use to the bottle. Another thing that i use to do being that i worked was i gave him regular formula at least twice a day so he can get use to both because reality is that once you start working and life starts getting a little hectic your body does not produce the same amount of milk and your baby is left hungry so i'ts really good to get him used to both breast and reg. milk and it's really not hard to get a baby use to a bottle at such an early stage...Well good luck with the baby and i hope everything works out great!!!!

T.,

Now is a perfect time to introduce a bottle. Your baby is well enough established in breastfeeding that nipple confusion is no longer an issue. If you wait much longer your baby will reject the bottle altoghether. (Who would want to settle for cold hard plastic when you could have soft, warm skin?)

Make sure that your baby gets breastfed with most feedings and bottle fed only a couple of times a day at first. That will reverse when you go back to work, but by then your baby will be in the habit of switching back and forth. Milk in the fridge will keep for 2-3 days and it is fine to mix it. Just make sure the cream on top is well mixed with the rest of it. You can freeze breast milk for a month or in a deep freezer for 3-6 months. Just be careful reheating (avoid the microwave if you can) so that the milk is not too hot.

Even though I primarily breastfed for 12 months with each baby, all three of my babies took an occasional bottle so that my husband and I could go on a date or I could attend a women's meeting at my church. It was great. It also came in handy when I got sick, had to take antibiotics and couldn't nurse for a couple of days. I only regret not being diligent with baby #2. I only gave him a bottle once every 3-4 weeks and he rejected it altogether. Then I had an MRI and they told me after the procedure not to breastfeed for 24 hours. It was a mess.

Your OB and Pediatrician will have more information (brochures)if you have more questions about storing and reheating your milk.

Best of luck,

1 / 3