Is It Okay to Take Your Baby to a Doctor's Appointment with You?

Does anyone do this?

I have a four month old, and besides grandparents, he hasn't had a babysitter yet. And I need to go to the dermatologist, for which I need to take a train into NYC, and it would take a few hours at least. I am breastfeeding, and don't want to be away from him that long, even if I could find a sitter. Does anyone ever bring babies with them to doctors' appointments?

I try my best to bring someone with me that can sit in the waiting room, in the exam room or the car depending on the circumstances. If I have no one to bring with me I bring my babies along on my own I don't have a choice. I go to great lengths to schedule my apts so my husband or mother (or mother in law when she lived here) can come along.
And no, I never accepted just pump and have someone give a bottle. 3 children, all breastfed, never once did they get a bottle. The world needs to be more accommodating to breastfeeding mothers and babies!

When they are still in a carseat its easy as pie! Ususally. Its when they are mobile things get a little crazy. He might sleep a lot!

Yup, I do it all the time. If I don't HAVE to (i.e. husband is at home) I won't...but even though he was home the other day, I took my youngest to my depo appt. because she wouldn't go down for a nap and I knew she would want to be fed. Doctors understand!

I bring my kids EVERYWHERE with me. I rarely leave them with anyone. I have gone to the gyno, ob, er, grocery store, dentist, etc. I think there is no reason to have your child stay with someone else when you are breastfeeding and are able to take them with you. Come prepared with a few toys and snuggle items and paci and extra diapers/clothes and you are set! Bring a couple snacks for you too----Good luck! You can do it!

M

I bring mine with me!!

When my babies are small and exclusively nursing, and sometimes even when they're older, I take them where ever I go. While pregnant with #3, the two little ones would come with me to my OB visits. The babies go where I go.

I see no problem with it. I took my infant daughter with me pretty much everywhere except work.

I have a Dr.'s appt. in the morning, for x-rays and a check up on my broken elbow and I am taking my youngest with me, she is 3.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

I've had to. It wasn't fun, but I had to.

1 / 3