Is It Okay to Give a 4 Month Old Baby Pedia-lyte

Does anyone know if it is okay to give a 4 month old baby pedia-lyte? Since yesterday my baby is gotten this crazy cough and after she is done coughing she throws-up. I was told to not give her much formula, as milk causes phlegm. So I was wondering is giving her pedia-lyte to keep her hydrated was okay? I go to the Dr. tomorrow but wanted to know about any home remedies that would be good for her.

Thanks to all who gave me great advice... I'm still feeding her as normal, and thank God she is not throwing up as much. She's still coughing really bad, but the Dr. said it's a virus and it should go away on it's own. I'm glad I didn't give her any pedia-lyte she is doing just fine without it. Again THANK YOU so MUCH!!!

I was told by my pediatrician that giving my daughter pedialite was ok at 3 months. You might want to invest in a really good humidifier. That cleared up my daughter's congestion every time without fail.

Dont give pedialyte

I would call your doctor's office and ask first...even if you have an appointment tomorrow. They can give you the best advice on something like this. I call my pedi about this stuff all the time and they are very helpful. My son (11 months old) recently had rotavirus (throwing up and diarrhea for about a week) and they told me to only give him a couple of teaspoons of pedialyte. Also, was it your doctor who said not to give your baby formula? This is their sole source of nutrition. I'm surprised that they would say to cut it back. Also, be very careful about giving a 4-month old too much water. There was recently a story in the news about water poisoning in infants. Babies don't need any additional water, beyond breastfeeding or formula, before the age of 10 months. It's a puzzle! I hope your baby is feeling better soon.

My pediatrician told me to with my son when he was really young. I think I mixed it with a little bit of water too. Small amounts at a time! Call your doc just to be sure!

I would call your Pediatrician's nurse and ask...here's the link to the Pedialyte website and their FAQ's. Every kid is different, I remember giving my son Pedialyte at 6 months...but, two months is a huge difference.

http://pedialyte.com/faq.aspx

Absolutley! My son had lots of middle ear infections and he didnt want the milk, So he drank pleanty of pedia-lyte! In the begining I diluted it 2 oz water 2 oz pedia-lyte.

I.,

You should check your sources re: milk causing phlegm. The latest studies show that milk in no way causes a higher production of phlegm or is related to the production of phlegm. My daughter's pediatrician has also confirmed that milk does not cause phlegm production. If she will drink formula, let her. Try to give her water, but if you are intent on giving her Pedialyte or another electrolyte drink, it should be fine. When my daughter had a stomach virus at 5-months-old, her pediatrician said Pedialyte was okay to give. The main goal is to keep them hydrated when they are ill.

Hope that helps,

E.

When my daughter was four months and started throwing up her pediatrician put her on pedialyte for 24 hours.

1 / 3