Is It Okay for a 3 Month Old to Go in a Pool?

My mom is hosting a BBQ this weekend and she has a pool in her backyard. I was wondering if it's okay for my 3 month old to go in the water. I'm not really worried about germs or anything just if the chlorine is too harmful. My mom swears its okay and even told me she had me in the ocean when I was only six weeks old! Just like to hear some other opinions on this.

Also, does any one know where to get the sunscreen for babies under six months? I can't find it in any stores!

I researched some sunscreens and have been looking for the badger brand in stores.
I also got her a big hat to protect her and a long-sleeved bathing suit top.
I'm going to see how she likes the water and won't have her in for too long.
And rinse off will definately be in order so her eyes and skin don't get irritated
Thanks for the help ladies!

We were in my grandparents pool from a couple of weeks old onward, and I had kiddo in the pool (a different one) from a couple of months old. I was actually swimming several months before I took my first steps (not underwater... my mum didn't believe in using the morrow reflex to teach infants to swim underwater. Not that she didn't believe in the reflex, she just thought it was too risky).

A number of safety things have to happen. Like watching for hypothermia (babies don't shiver, they have "brown fat" -aka vascularized- to keep them warm until the can shiver, so you have to watch for subtler signs). And you ALWAYS have to have 2 hands on them (don't use floaties at this age). And you need to go in slowly, so you don't shock them. AND not stay in for too long (as in try for 5 or 10 minutes tops, unless the pool is heated). But unless she's allergic to chlorine, or the pool is icy, you should be fine.

Most medical websites do not advise introducing a child under the age of 6 months to water that is below the child's body temperature. This is because under the age of 6 months, a child cannot generate its own body heat nor regulate its temperature. Hence, as the body loses heat in water, the infant can't replace its own body heat... so hypothermia in water is a significant risk.

I'd probably just dip the toes to the knees in not the whole baby.

Oh, there are so many mixed theories on this!

Consider the temp of the water. Babies get hypothermic very easily. See how baby reacts when you dip the toes in a few times...do not push it, if baby doesn't like it, then stop . keep baby's head out of the water for now. Wash any part of baby that is in the pool with what you regularly bathe baby in to wash away the chlorine. Then, apply lotion.

I would limit sun exposure, rather than use sunblock. If you are still uncertain, call your pediatrician.

In general, why expose a child to an eye-irritant like chlorine ? I would not.

SunScreen:You can find it at walmart. I got one for my son last weekend.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1032...;

www.PhotosBySri.com

I asked my Ped at our 4 month check up about the pool and sunscreen. She said it was fine to take her to the pool just rinse her off afterwards to get the chlorine off her skin. She also said that if you are in the pool for 20 minutes are so to go without sunscreen...there is nothing really wrong with putting sunscreen on a baby under 6 months (it's better than them burning) but if you are only out in the sun for a short amount of time just go without and use a hat. The reason they say not to put sunscreen on an infant under 6 months is that their skin is sensitive and you run a higher chance of them having a reaction to the sunscreen. We are taking our 4 month old to the pool this weekend and since it is so hot outside I am going to put sunscreen on her arms, use her big floppy hat, and her swimsuit with sleeves. Have fun and enjoy your holiday weekend!

it's ok if the pool is really chlorinated.. like you can smell it... otherwise they say don't put them in at this young age with a lot of chemicals... if it doesn't smell real chemically.. then it should be ok for a short time.. like about 10 minutes.. if the water isn't to cold... if it's to cold.. i wouldn't do it.. you can also pick up a small blow up pool and put a little water in that.. most people do that with little ones before the age of 5 or 6 months.. good luck

Updated

yes it's fine. I started taking my daughter swimming when she was 8 weeks old.

1 / 3