Is it ok to put a pillow in a crib for an older baby?

Is it ever OK to put a pillow in a crib for an older baby to sleep on? My little guy was walking at 8.5 months, so he's pretty advanced physically. He's now 11 months old and can stand up, roll over, tries to climb stairs(!), and can do just about everything. My husband thinks that he might be more comfortable and sleep better with a pillow in the crib, but I'm not so sure about that, especially since he likes to sleep on his stomach. I'm against it for now, but wanted to know what other moms thought.

Summary

American Academy of Pediatrics says no pillow in crib for infant, due to Sudden Infant Death, so I would avoid a pillow in a crib until they're older.

I like the idea of putting a pillow under the sheet...but...after thinking about it, our little guy has been sleeping pretty well recently, and I can tell that he'd be the type to eventually use a pillow to make a crib escape attempt, so I'm going to be conservative here and hold off on the pillow until he graduates to a big boy bed. Thanks for all of your input.

I see you have tons of responses. I didn't see anyone ask how he is sleeping. If he is sleeping well I would leave well enough alone. They really don't NEED a pillow at this age. Also keep in mind that he isn't missing anything because he's never had a pillow to begin with. I would say no unless he is having issues sleeping, and even then who's to say a pillow will help?

My daughter co-slept with me for 7 months and was using my pillows by that age, so I assumed she would be fine with a smaller one of her own. In her bed she had a pillow at 8 months old.
I was told that if they can roll over and push up into the "crawling" position, can take blankets on and off their head, and want a small pillow, there's no problem.
Hope that helps!

I've heard not until after a year or later and at that point, it should be a toddler pillow, not adult-sized. You can get them in the bedding dept. at TRU or BRU, probably other places as well. We waited until closer to 20 months, I think...he had started to puff his blanket into a sort of pillow and try to sleep on it.

We didnt give our sons a pillow unitl he moved into his big boy bed. He was almost 3 by the time we gave him one. I dont think they really even care. Does he sleep in the same position for the whole night? You might find out that it will end up more on the floor than staying in his crib. Hope that helps you.

My daughter has been sleeping with her boppy pillow. She slept in the boppy pillow to take naps when she was born until about 6 mo. Then she moved into her crib. I didn't use it at first, but then she got a cold and I wanted her head elevated. I put it in there for her, and she has used it since (she is almost 2). It is hard enough that you don't have to worry about them sinking into it, and there are no loose pieces (like a pillow case) for them to choke on. I have a boppy cover over it, and I wash it once a week. She loves it and I felt safe with it in her crib. Only you and your hubby know what is right for your child. They do make special baby pillows. If you are super worried about suffocation, I have heard of people putting the pillow under the sheet, so there is just a soft bump and the child can't get under the pillow.

Hi B.,
Wow - bet you're having fun keeping up with him! I believe the American Academy of Pediatrics says no pillow. I'd follow your mama's instinct to not use one for the time being. My son didn't use one until he went into a toddler bed at about 2 -2.5 yrs. Good luck!

no absolutely not.he will use it for climbing and drs will tell you that isnt good for his spine.unless you use it for proping his spine in some way.

I put my kids in a regular bed and gave them pillows at this age. If he is climbing, it is time to get him out of the crib, before he gets himself out. It only takes one try to climb out and then fall and bust his arm. My little sister did it at about 6 months. When they are able to move if uncomfortable they are fine for blankets and pillows. The risk for SIDS is turning out to be completely different that suffocation risks. If it seems that he would like a pillow, try one, get one thats flat, his little neck is not long enough for a fluffy one yet. Everyone has us mommys so scared becuase they don't want to be sued. No blankets, no pillows, no stuffed animals, no bumpers, we're not allowed to let them sleep on their tummies; its getting ridiculous, all the "rules." If your toddler is more comfortable with a blanket and pillow, give him a blanket and pillow. I'm sorry if I seem harsh, I just hate to see the fear and guilt rule over commonsense.

I think the AAP recommends no blankets etc. until 1 year. We didn't give my son a pillow until around 2. I think at 11 months they still move around quite a bit when they sleep. I think he is probably comfortable enough without it. My daughter is 18 month and she sleeps with two blankets but no pillow. She moves around too much to even stay on a pillow. My son is now 3 1/2 and pretty much stays in one place, so he uses a pillow.

I think a pillow is completely safe! Sounds like your son is physically advanced enough to avoid suffocation. A few weeks ago I put a pillow in my daughters crib - 15 months old. She has a full sized pillow and it fills up the width of the crib. I put it in there to elevate her head when she had a cold. She's been sleeping much better since we gave her the pillow.

1 / 3