Is It Ok to Go off of the Gift Registry?

My friends wedding is coming up. She has registered at some pricey places. I'm looking at her registry and all that's left is big huge espensive stuff or a lot of little things that look cheap, but are actually expensive. Like expensive kitchen gadgets. My budget is $25. I could buy a few kitchen odds and ends for that. That does not make me a happy gift giver. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm legendary for my gift giving prowess. I need to really feel good about what I give. I'd rather buy them beautiful windchimes, becaue I know they live in thier backyard. Or a framed Irish Blessing to honor thier roots or something sentimental. Not a cheese slicer! So...is it ok to go off on my own or is that frowned upon?

Yes, it sounds like you would put a lot of thought into it. I would rather have something heartfelt than a cheese slicer! ;)

Everyones taste is different, so it's hard to say. I love being out doors, but a wind chime would drive me batty. You don't want them to feel obligated to display a gift they don't love.

How about a bottle of wine with a personalized label on it? Maybe have thir names and wedding date put on it. Or put Do Not Open until June 2021 which would be their 10 year anniversary.

www.personalwine.com

Absolutely! Gift registries are a guide, that's all. If you know them well, it would be really nice to get them something personal that you know they would love. Always include a gift receipt though, just in case.

Of course it's OK to go "off" the registry!

It makes it easier to use the registry if you are clueless.

Obviously you are NOT!

Yes, it is perfectly okay. It is a GIFT. Not an admission ticket.

www.personalwine.com

Honey - it isn't about you!

It isn't about how awesome of a gift giver you are.

It isn't about how much you like wind chimes in the backyard.

It isn't about you deciding that they should honor their roots.

Once you realize that this is about giving a gift for a friend and not to stroke your own ego, you may realize that while the cheese slicer has no value to you it could really mean the world to her...even if it does seem crazy!

Yes, you can go off registry but in this case it seems like you're more concerned with fulfilling your needs than hers and I don't think that's right. Just because *you* think it is a great gift doesn't mean she will.

If you go off of the registry, always send the receipt with the gift. It gives them the option of exchanging and lets them know it will not hurt your feeling if it is not their taste.

I was a bridal registrar for about 15 years.
There was a lot of exchanges done after weddings.

I think windchimes are a lovely idea.

1 / 3