Is It Normal for a 3Yr Old to Repeat Things over and Over?

Recently my 3yr old daughter has been repeating everything i say, and repeating things like a word over and over until i have to tell her to stop saying the same thing over and over, because she gets louder and it starts to drive me crazy! For example this morning she kept saying "its raining, its raining" like a hundred times. She had surgery in June, and had tubes put in and tonsils and adnoids removed, so i don't know if she is doing this because she is hearing everything more clearly now, or if this is a phase? Any help or advice you could give me would be great thanks in advance.

Wow thanks moms so much for all the responses. Im going to try all the suggestions and see what works. I want my daughter to express herself, just not in a way that annoys everyone around her. She loves to sing songs and has very grown up conversations with you, she just has a hard time with pronouncing words correctly and the repeating. Thanks again for all the help and advice. Its nice to know that i am not the only one going through this.

This went on with my son too after his tonsils were removed. He could hear. He was so excited that he had to repeat and repeat and repeat.lol

Some could be because she can hear. Try not to take the excitement out of her. Hold her and hug her and let her see how happy you are for her. Some is definately the age also.

The repetition of language is natural, but since your daughter keeps going on and on, I would suggest a Speech/Language evaluation. A speech pathologist would be able to answer your questions and come up with strategies and information.

About me: Elementary educator for 28 years. Mother of a 13 yr. old daughter, stepmother of a 22 yr. old daughter.

A.

My granddaughter, just after her second birthday, had tubes put in, and because of what I saw her doing, I think you may be right when you say she may be doing it because she hears better. My g.d. would cover and then uncover her ears, for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. I think because she remembered how everything sounded before, like she was under water, and now everything was so clear, I think she was just experimenting to find out for herself how different it was. She also did some repeating, but I don't think it was to the extent that you indicated.

But talk to her doctor. Just to put your mind at ease.

Well, I sure hope it's normal because my 3 y/o son does it all the time. He will repeat something until he gets confirmation from us. "It's raining. It's raining" "Yes, Jacob, it's raining." Then he's done and goes on to the next thing. Lol.

Phase. Our older daughter is a very intense kid and could repeat stuff or ask the same question like a billion times...she was just burning it into her brain I think. Our younger one did it too- although her goal was to drive us up a wall....good luck keeping your sanity!

Don't worry- my niece is 3 1/2 and has been in his phase since she was probably close to 3 years old. She will repeat herself over and over until she has our attention or does it to get something she wants. It drives my poor sister out of her mind. I know not all kids go through this but my niece is and it's bad so don't worry just hang in there and hopefully she will come out of it soon.

Maybe she sees it get a rise out of you. Ignore it hard core for a few days and see if she stops.

Oh also when she says something repeat it back to her 1x, so she says, "its raining," then you say, "oh it is raining." And see if she stops. My guy is a little younger but he keeps repeating until I repeat to him what he says, I guess for confirmation??

1 / 3