Is It Appropriate???

Ok. So, just in case I can not find an hourly day care...is it appropriate for me to bring my 1 1/2 year old son with my to my yearly exam? I know people do it, but do the doctors care? This will be my first visit with this dr and I do not know what their rules are. I just keep picturing my feet in the stirrups and my son running around the room eating cotton balls.
Thanks,
A.

So, my appt wound up not happening. After shoving several snacks into our bag (banana, baggie of cheerios, and a candy cane), we loaded into the car a little early to run some errands on our way to the doc's. Well, we walked into Office Depot, and I realized I locked my keys in my car. With 25 min till my appt I had to reschedule. 1 hr later and minus $48 I was able to get back into my car and head home. At least my new appt is at a time when my husband will be home.

Thanks for the advice ladies!!!

When I was pregnant with my second child, my first was around the year and a half mark and we moved to a new town. I didn't know anyone so I just took him with me and strapped him in a umbrella stroller while they had me in the stirrups. It doesn't take that long and my doctor didn't care and I saw two other women with their children there.

Now, you do need to call the doctor because I have seen some signs on some ob/gyns office that no children under 13 are allowed b/c of the risk to the pregnant women.

Good luck, my first one (to the best of my memory) went with me to almost all my appointments and had his sippy which I gave him right when they came in the room to give me the exam.

If you have to take him with you then you just have to. Bring something for him to do and he can sit behind the cutain. He could pretend its a castle or something. Or just sit him in a stroller. Good luck.

Hey girl! I wanted to respond to you because I work in an ob/gyn office. We have women bring children all the time. We will take the child and keep them occupied while the Dr is doing the exam. Sometimes we give them suckers ans that seems to keep them sitting in the chair long enough. It won't be anything like you imagine!

When I took my son with me to my checkup, the nurse took him out of the room and entertained him until I was done. Since it is an OB/GYN they may have something in place for this. I am sure you are not the first mom and you won't be the last.

mmmm wow... that's a toughie! I would call the office and ask them. I'm sure you can't be the only one with this problem.

most doctors dont allow children to come to the doctors office.they should still see you though you have your child with you but i would see about a sitter

I have had to bring my daughter in to the Dr's office, when I had a pelvic exam. she was about a year old. The Dr did not appreciate it (no one else in the office minded, and at that age, having her/him in the room will not adversely affect your child), but he was a cranky old fool, and we never did quite get along. She was actually quite good, he just didn't want any kids (other than the ones in the mommies bellies :P) in there. Call thee Dr's office and see how they feel about it before you go. And just remember this, you pay them, not the other way around. I had to remind my Dr of this over and over during, before and after my pregnancies lol He was a grumpy old fool (but I adored him and still do)!!

I dont think it is a big deal, I have seen people do this alot. I would suggest bringing something to keep him entertained.

Hi A.

gotta do what you gotta do. I have been there and have had to tote my toddlers with me. Most DR offices are not open after hours when your husband can watch the kids.
In my case the nurses have been great. Some take them out of the room and entertain them, others just keep the occupied in the room. Most DR's understand this!
Good Luck to you...been there done that :)

I work in a doctors office and this does happen more often than we would like, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Probably the doctor will ask one of the nurses to babysit during the actual exam. Don't sweat it though, your doctor will probably understand if you have no one else to help with childcare.

1 / 3