Is It ADD?

I have been having a lot of problems with my middle daughter. She is almost 7, beautiful, bright and energetic, but she is doing very poorly in school and reading in general. She is definitely strong willed but at this point i am trying to figure out if it is ADD or a learning disability or just attitude. At the beginning of the year, 1st grade, she was getting out of her seat and jumping sometimes when all the kids should have been sitting. She has gotten over that for the most part and even started doing better in reading. However, since the Christmas break she has regressed. She is barely making out simple words like cat, of, look. I have had her sight tested already and that came back 20/20. I now have an appointment for her at a psychologist to get her tested for ADD. I am wondering if there are any other types of problems i should have her tested for. It is heartbreaking and worst of all it is bad on her self esteem. So what do you think?

I am so grateful for all your input. This is kind of like finding a needle in a haystack. I will definitely look into testing her for intolerances to different things. I never thought it would be so difficult to find the right people to help. unfortunately the school she is at is all about its high awards and honors, but i think the kids with the learning dissabilities and differences get passed up. i am just very grateful to be able to get feedback like this. Thanks, H.

I just looked into a website called bright solutions. It is amazing my daughter shows all the signs of dyslexia. I am relieved but now need to act and let the school and the teacher know. i am happy to have gotten this info. thanks

Once you have her tested, you might want to look into a private school, like Great Lakes Academy to help fill in her reading gaps before it gets too late. The sooner you get her the individualized help she needs, the better her chances are for getting her caught up. Tutoring places, such as Sylvan or Kumon are NOT worth the money. If you are going to spend that type of money, you may as well have her in a school where their specialty is teaching kids who struggle in a traditional educational environment.

Have you considered just getting the school counselor involved before going the ADD route? There are many issues that could be at the bottom of this, and many of those have simple resolutions.
She could be bored or she might be having difficulty with reading and need some tutoring, she may not "click" with her teacher, etc.

HTH~C.

Not staying still in school is not ADD. Maybe she is just bored. If it seems like she isn't learning fast enough maybe the person trying to teach her isn't taking enough time with her. Maybe she just needs a little one on one time. I would try everything else possible before putting her on meds. Good luck.

I unfortunately don't agree with these moms. Because I have a 13 y/o that was diagnosed with ADHD 2 years ago. Grammer school was awful. We struggled daily with assignments. She has inattentive ADHD, which means she can't pay attention for long periods of time. Her brain flashes, like the tv commercial. She will tell you that the medicaion makes a huge difference in the way she learns. I am greatful our pediatrician recommended it to me. Not all medications are bad. There are several kinds now.

On the other hand it sounds like your daughter maybe dyslexic. There are several types of dyslexia. It isn't just mirror writing. My middle child was tested early this year and she is dyslexic. The school system doesn't like to test until 3rd grade because it is difficult for them. See if they will test her. If not, check with your pediatrician. She/he can send you to a dyslexia specialist.

Keep telling her she is smart and that she will get it soon. Positive reinforcement is a necessity!!! Keep going over the flash cards. If she is dyslexic I found a program called the Barton System. It is a little pricy, but it seems to be helping us.

If she is bouncing off of the walls, it is probably because she is bored.

Hey H.! What does your daughter's teacher think? I believe you are entitled to have the school district do an assessment for you at no cost. I'm not sure what the counterpart in Austin ISD is (if that's where you are), but we went through the Round Rock ISD Play-Based Assessment for my son. I'd start with the teacher and principal at your school--they will know how to quickly direct you to good resources.

Hi H.,

Have you taken her to her pediatrician for evaluation? That would probably be a good start. It's good you had her eyesight tested so you know it's not that...I assume her hearing is okay, too? I'm curious to know how she is doing in other subjects at school, not just reading. If it seems that most of her problems are related to reading then there is the chance that there is some sort of learning disability and her getting up and moving around is her way of avoiding reading-related activities. I agree with the others that ADD/ADHD is used too often. However, my boyfriend's 15-yr old daughter is truly ADD and Concentra (sic) has helped her tremendously. Hang in there...it sounds like you are a good mom doing all you can! :)

There is a book by Frank Lawlis--called Thee ADD answer( You may have seen him on Dr. Phil) about food allergies and how it can cause problems with children. Some kids with these allergies have been misdiagnosed with ADHD and ADD. These allergies can manifest in many ways. I just purchased the book myself-I am looking forward to reading it. Maybe this will help you. Good Luck!

it may be ADD or you may be overseeing some minor form of dyselxia.

Our daughter had many of the same issues when she was in kindergarden and we had to keep her back a year. She was in a private school and they recommended that the public school system arrange the testing for learning disabilities. It was several days of testing and she was found to have multiple learning disabilities. The testing was very in depth and the report I got was at least an inch thick. She then went to public school in and attended regular class (1st grade), but for math and reading she went to "learning resource" or a type of special education class. She also needed speech therapy and occupational therapy. Please call the school's nd !

She might have sensory integration dysfunction. Many children with SID Do better in school/concentration if they have sensory input such as jumping or swinging or chewing on something or even sitting on a special therapy ball or pad on the chair. That might be why she was jumping up and down ( although she may not be aware of the reason.)

My children have Asperger Syndrome and SID. You might want to look into it. Unfortunately if the psych DX ADHD does not mean that's what she has and it does not mean she doesn't have SID. SID and AS are fairly new being DX here in the US, although they have known about these neurological 'disorders' since the forties.

1 / 3