Is Head Bobbing Normal??

Hi, I almost feel silly asking this but I'm a first time mom and my 3 month old tends to bob her head like Katherine Hepurn and at first I figured it was just an unsteadiness thing but then my husband voiced a concern and so I felt I should ask. She mostly does it when trying to steady her upper body and head at the same time. It's not something she does constantly. Thanks for your input!

I can't tell you how much your responses mean to me, thank you for your time and encouraging and reassuring words. God bless you! :D

Congratulations on you healthy, NORMAL, baby girl. She is just getting her balance. Very, very normal.

Oh yeah! My daughter did it too...and I was so concerned about it...my Ped told me not to worry. It is a combination of environmental stimultion and neck muscle control! No worries! Hope this helps!

I also have a beautiful 3 month old baby girl!! She also head bobs. Mostly, like you said, when she is trying to steady herself. So as far as I know it is totally normal:)

trust me, it's very normal at that stage of life, a newborn doesn't have control of the muscles in their necks to hold/balance their heads... you should always support her when YOU hold her... as for her bobbing a bit when she's on her tummy... she will get stronger.... I have 4 grown daughters and 7 grandchildren... I remember those stages well.. if you still feel concerned, ask your baby's doctor.. they might even be able to give you a book about "what my baby should do at different ages"... but remember one thing, all babies grow and mature at different rates, so don't hold to the thought about "what they should be doing" like it's the gospel..... hugs my dear, L.

Hi, I'm P., I have been taking care of kids for 27yrs.. there are some baby's who do this. Why because there heads are larger. Sometimes The child is unable to hold her head up at this age do to the mussels in her spine and back.

How to solve the problem, place your child on her back, do leg exercises, arm exercises.. everyday for a month.. If you do not see a different, then your child must be taken to the doctors..

you can also help tighten your child's mussels but putting her in the bath tub and letting her stretch there as well, but never have water any higher then her sides.. hint..

P.

I work in a daycare and one of the babies I take care bobbles her head all around. She used to do it alot but in the last month she has gained control. Its nothing to worry about. God Bless You and Your Baby. Mine will be 17 on tuesday it goes by way too fast.

My 3 month old does the exact same thing :) Congrats on your baby girl.

Just a quick addition--although I agree it is probably a muscle control issue, please keep an eye on it if it persists. My son had nystagmus as an infant and toddler--this is a shaking of the eye when it tries to focus. To compensate, he would slightly shake his head. To be honest, I noticed the shaking eye first, and then the head bobbing--also two of nephews did this as young babies, so I kind of knew what to look for. Anyway, if the shaking continues after your baby has good muscle control, talk to a pediatrician about it. The condition I describe is somewhat unusual, so I like to spread the word when I can.

Hi K., Head bobbing is normal. If it goes on longer than six months I would then bring it to the babies doctors attention.

1 / 3