Is Coconut Milk Okay for Baby?

I breast fed my baby for the first six months and I will be returning to work soon. I tried Similac Advance Formula and noticed my daughter got a reaction from it. I read that Coconut milk is a better alternative, has anyone else tried this?

Hi W.,
I've never heard of giving coconut milk to a baby. I would only give breast milk to an infant under one year of age. Is it possible for you to pump?

She might just have a problem with the lactose. Here's a lactose free formula that is not soy based http://www.naturesone.com/lactose-free.php

It's also my understanding that some people who can't tolerate cow milk can take goat milk fine so you might want to look into a goat milk formula. All I see is for toddlers (12 months) but it's better then giving just coconut milk. http://www.iherb.com/productdetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1083...

Another thing is to try organic formula (you can get it at a grocery store, make sure it's certified organic.) Some people have a reaction to the pesticides and stuff in the milk, and when they have organic milk they are just fine!

Ultimately, the best thing would be to keep breastfeeding and or pumping.

I would not substitute raw coconut milk for formula for an infant under 12 months. I have also heard it has laxative effects. I might consider giving it to a *older toddler or child* in addition to regular meals but I wouldn't feed my baby coconut milk as a primary nutritional source.

I found a website that discusses the similarity in lauric acid between coconut milk and breast milk... Ok, that is interesting... (pasted below) however *ALL* baby formula is mandated to provide a certain amount of essential fat, protein and calories. Just because there are similarities in lauric acid doesn't mean coconut milk has similar nutrition in protein, fat, carbs and overall calories.

From http://www.happystomach.com/coconut.htm
"Unlike other oils and fats, coconut oil contains a large amount of the fatty acid known as lauric acid, which is the predominant fatty acid found in mother's milk. The lauric acid makes breast milk easily digestible, it strengthens the immune system and protects against viral, bacterial and fungal infections."

So if you toggle between these two website pages (below) you can compare the nutritional value between baby formula and coconut milk. What I find particularly interesting is that coconut milk is rated a 22 in terms of complete nutrition; formula is rated a 56 (more than double!). Also, there is a chart that rates the calories in terms of carbs/fat/protein; it says the calories from coconut milk is almost completely derived from fat (87% from fat, 3% protein, 10% carbs) whereas calories from formula is rated as equal in carbs and fat (46% from fat, 10% protein, 44% carbs).

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/...
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/baby-foods/10024/2

If you want to compare it with a different formula brand, this page lets you select the formula: http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-formula003000000000000...

Never heard about coconut milk......however, I had the same issue with my daughter, she could not handle any fomulas. I breast fed till she was about 8 months, then transitioned her to goat milk. It is very similar in consistency and nutrients to breast milk, and easily digestible. Dr. Sears has a Goat Milk formula on line that you can make yourself from Meyersburg canned goat milk (or fresh), water, and an infant multi-liquid.

i would not use coconut as your babies only source of nutrition, it has a laxative effect and is not nutritionally complete as a food for babies.
i dont know where you read that lol, but i dont think its a good idea

I've never heard of this, and I've studied lactation and baby nutrition (in regard to bfing). I know that the major components of breast milk and cow's milk which are useful in brain development and growth are casin and whey. cow milk is more geared toward growth and human milk is better suited for brain development, in terms of the ratio of casin to whey.

Coconut "milk" is not really a milk. Milk is produced by mammals. It would seem terribly low in protein to me, but I've never studied coconut milk with anything other than a straw. Ask a nutritionist before going this route. It could seriously deprive your little one of much needed proteins.

Coconut milk is not real milk. The coconut is part of the Palm family and is usually treated as a replacement for oils.

I would suggest you speak with your pediatrician and find a new formula. There are tons of them out there. You may need to try a few different ones to find the right one for your child.

Your infant needs specific nutrients since her brain is developing very quickly at this point.

I have heard the opposite of the answers you were given. Coconut milk is the miracle food, children growing up in tropical places who are not able to nurse are brought up on coconut milk! God gives us natural resources to help us out! Coconut milk is the most similar milk found next to mother's milk! It is high in fiber and protein and helps brain development, all of which mother's milk does. I have given it to my baby who didn't like formula (even homemade), and she loves it and is healthy! I would say it is good to give your baby coconut milk. Also know your resources. This is not a popular way to go , but the formula industry and science behind it is trying to make money so they will do whatever it takes to shut down what nature (not trying to make money off of you) and all it has to offer. I would do some research though on different coconut milk companies because some coconut milk is too processes, you want to find one that is the least processes, a good indicator is if it has cream on the top which is the way it should be. This is brief but u hope it helps!

Hi W.,

1 / 3